The Grisha series by Leigh Bardugo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alexander678
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Grisha series by Leigh Bardugo

Post by Alexander678 »

The Grisha series by Leigh Bardugo follows the story of Alina, an orphan, as she discovers she has a unique power that could help save her kingdom, and joins with the magical elite of her kingdom - the Grisha. The trilogy follows her and her childhood best friend, Mal, as well as the mysterious Darkling as they discover more about each other, and Alina's abilities. The author creates well written and complex characters, that change throughout all the books. The plot is unique and unusual, and there are many unexpected plot twists which add to the intrigue of the series. The Kingdom of Ravka and all of its characters enrapture the reader within the first few pages of the first book, Shadow and Bone, and the writing keeps you hooked all the way through to the last book, Ruin and Rising. The world of Ravka is well thought out, and although there is romance, it isn't the main focus of the story, the story instead focusing on the characters themselves and their struggles. Both the heroes and the villains of this series are intriguing and multi-faceted, blurring the distinct lines between 'good' and 'bad'. This series is one I would recommend to any fantasy fan regardless of age, because the books are engrossing, packed full of action and romance and magic, and suitable for any age or gender.
GandalfTheFey

Post by GandalfTheFey »

Good review!

I only read the first book, but can confirm it was a humdinger of a good yarn. Loved the russian-style medieval fantasy world as well. Too many fantasy books are western european medieval based. Didn't even mind the love triangle set-up, and I'm not normally a fan of those (outside of Sam, Frodo, and Gollum of course).
Alexander678

Post by Alexander678 »

Yeah I know what you mean about love triangles! I'm not a big fan of them and worried it would ruin the books for me, but it didn't. In fact, I think it adds a unique dynamic to the second and third books in the series. The Russian style was a really unique idea too, which is why I loved the books so much, because they were so different to the normal fantasy stuff.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Great review. I'll remember the name of this series. If you like these types of books, try Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke & Bone Trilogy. Guarantee you'll love it.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I've only read the first book so far but really liked it. It definitely kept me hooked all the way through and I plan to read the other two.
Alexander678

Post by Alexander678 »

I love the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy; it's one of my favourites. And you should definitely read the other two, they're both just as good as the first one in my opinion! I hope you enjoy them.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

@Alexander678

I actually read all three DOS&B books, and I enjoyed all of them. Laini's writing is out of this world.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Krambkn
Currently Reading: Crown on Midnight (Throne of Glass #2)
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krambkn.html

Post by Krambkn »

I LOVE the Grisha series, I had heard a lot about them and finally decided to pick up the first of the series and was hooked. I read them all within the span of a week and recommended them to everyone! I am so glad that this series is gaining traction and I see it everywhere!
Morgan_Malone
Currently Reading: Queen of Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-malone.html
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine

Post by Morgan_Malone »

Good review. I've heard so many good things about this series and also just good things in general about Leigh Bardugo. I really want to read this series and also Six of Crows which is another book by Burdugo.
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine
nina-mouawad
Currently Reading: A Feast For Crows
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina-mouawad.html

Post by nina-mouawad »

I absolutely adored it. The world Leigh Bardugo created hooked me right in, without a second thought. Her characters are unique with much depth and surprisingly interesting. From Alina, Mal, the darkling to Genya and David, they are all wonderfully created. Can't wait to read more about this world.
Adela1209
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Adela1209 »

I was basically obsessed with this serie. I read the second book in just one night - literally I finished that book at 4AM. Alina, Mal, the Darkling I loved every single one of them.
S Mishra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-mishra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by S Mishra »

This series is one of my favourites ever. I love the grishaverse and how beautifully it's designed. I also liked Alina's character development through the series.
Also, the darkling.

I didn't much like the ending though, I don't particularly like Mal. What do you guys think?
"If anyone needs me, I’ll be reading.... Please don’t need me."
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

I liked Six of Crows more than Shadow and Bone, but the worldbuilding and the characters is what makes the Grishaverse so exciting and I loved it in both!
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

Thanks for the review and the recommendation. Already added to my Wishlist, gonna read it later.
monserrat_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monserrat-21.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by monserrat_21 »

Great review! This series is the first one I've read in a long time that managed to draw me in from the very first book. I love the Grisha universe and the characters are very complex and interesting. I personally like the Six of Crows duology more but part of the reason why is because of the incredible worldbuilding of the first three books!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”