Review of Our Man on Mars

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Olga Markova
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The Cursed by Beth Schluter

Review of Our Man on Mars

Post by Olga Markova »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Our Man on Mars" by Keith Cornwell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In Our Man on Mars by Keith Cornwell, the events unfold in 2034. Steve McKay, a chaplain of the Church of Scotland, leaves Earth on the four-month-long interplanetary flight, to lead the only parish in the first and only human colony on Mars. Soon after the take-off, it is discovered that one of the three of the spacecraft’s legs was damaged. If the spacecraft landed on two legs, it would fall over and could blow up. As the Earth authorities and the Mars Council are working with the spacecraft’s crew of engineers to design the solution for a safe landing, Steve becomes aware of an occasional knocking sound on the spacecraft’s outside wall. What is that sound? Will the spacecraft land safely? Will Steve accomplish his mission on Mars? Why did Steve venture to Mars instead of taking up a chaplaincy in his native Scotland?

I read Our Man on Mars with great interest. Most of all, I enjoyed the balance of the suspenseful, atmospheric, and hilarious story with the thought-provoking philosophical discussions about the impact of life away from Earth on the mental state of humans. One example is a fly Steve noticed on his glass of Guinness in the Mars Bar. Trivial and annoying as it would be on Earth, on Mars it was a small reminder of home and worth preserving as a link with life at home. Another example is the complex dilemma of having babies born on Mars. The suspense in this book revolves mostly around this dilemma.

I also liked the humour. My favourite examples are John Young’s corned beef sandwich that burst in low gravity after the spacecraft’s lift-off, a Siberian sausage that did not crumble but tasted horrible when in space, and legal battles over the so-called Lunar Bibles.

Finally, I liked the book’s unexpected ending.

On the flip side, the book has many errors. Apart from a few dozen typographical errors, I also found inconsistent use of the name of Steve’s ex-wife and the job title of President Leskovich. In the beginning, Steve’s ex-wife was introduced as Margo but in the end, she suddenly became Mandy. Similarly, President Leskovich was demoted to acting president but later in the book he was referred to as assistant president.

Other than the errors, I did not dislike anything in this book. So, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to a wide adult audience of fans of science fiction. Some believers, both Christian and non-Christian, may disagree with Steve’s views on the concepts of God, life, and death. These are expressed in the book from Steve’s perspective as an extra-terrestrial traveller and a chaplain of the Church of Scotland. The book’s title and cover do not look unquestionably “adult”, and young teenagers may feel tempted by the book’s intriguing title “Our Man on Mars”. Young readers may also be tempted by the mysterious orange circle above the graveyard of a Gothic church on the book’s cover. In my view, this book is unsuitable for children because it includes erotic scenes, discussions of pregnancy and abortion, and discusses matters that are too complex for a junior audience, such as technical aspects of the speed of light and Stephen Hawkins’ theory.

Our Man on Mars
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Magda Leni
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Magda Leni »

I did not dislike anything in this book. So, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to both Christian and non-Christian, shall disagree with Steve’s views on the concepts of God, life, and death. Those are expressed in the book from Steve’s perspective as an extra-terrestrial traveller and a chaplain of the Church of Scotland. The book’s title and cover do not look unquestionably “adult”, and young teenagers may feel tempted by the book’s intriguing title “Our Man on Mars”. In my view, this book is unsuitable for children because it discussions of pregnancy and abortion, and discusses matters that are too complex for a junior audience.
Oluchi23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi23.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Oluchi23 »

This is an interesting story. The question of how do we know if he succeed is what is driving me to add the book to my shelf ASAP. To discover the answer. Kudos for the review
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not sure I want to read discussione about religious themes in a story about an interplanetary journey and a Mars colony but there are elements I find interesting. Certainly, I hope the author does proper proofreading. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ajibola Gabriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajibola-gabriel.html
Latest Review: The Vitality System by Kyle Gonzalez

Post by Ajibola Gabriel »

It could be that he was being accompanied by an alien (joke intended). The story seems interesting. I like to read stories that take me into the technological possibilities of the future.
Triciat50
Favorite Book: The Luminaries
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-triciat50.html
Latest Review: The Miracle of Ramadan by Wassim Hijazi

Post by Triciat50 »

Sometimes these science fiction books are SO serious that I tend to stay away from them. However, based on your review about how you loved the humor, I'll take a closer look. Thank you!
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

There are real people like Steve who are brave to venture into space travel or even on Mars in the future. I wonder if Steve will land safely and why he decided to venture into this life-or-death travel. Your review, Olga, is excellent!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”