Review of Riddles Island

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Phoebe Felix
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoebe-felix.html
Latest Review: Dark Agendas of Power by Kevin Glenn

Review of Riddles Island

Post by Phoebe Felix »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Riddles Island" by Jan E. Pat.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The world was divided into sects in Riddles Island by Jan E. Pat. Some lived in "Citadels," and others were the "Masses." The Citadels were built by the wealthy minority after the war. Rory and her partner, Dylan, lived in one of the Citadels called "Riddles." Their way of life was regimented and governed by rules. The rules kept them safe by eliminating gender distinctions and protecting them from diseases that ravaged the "Hillbillies" who did not live in Citadels like them. The Hillbillies called them "Newts." A Hillbilly came ashore where Rory was having her lunch outside "Lands End," their cottage. The Hillbilly introduced himself as Jed and wanted to make an exchange for clean water. Rory's encounter with Jed got her questioning everything she had been told and might likely lead her down an unexpected road.

The experience of reading this story started on rocky ground because of the new and different set of vocabulary and pronouns. At first, they were confusing and made it frustrating to get through the initial pages, but it got easier as the story progressed. The author of this book created a dystopian world that was years in the future, where there was regimented existence, and the rules of normal lifestyle had been twisted and turned into propaganda controlled by the wealthy.

I viewed this entire book as a satire and even a premonition of the fate of today's world if drastic changes were not made in the world's activities. It was a religious, political, and even sexual satire of the present posture of societal standards on the subject matter. The author's exaggeration made the message even more profound. The author lent weight to the conversations around climate change and the need to care for nature. If you ever wondered what it would be like if the world eventually depleted nature through its harmful activities, Riddles Island projected a possible scenario of the answer to the question.

Beyond climate change, this book anticipated a world that operated by a different set of moral standards. It was a message of the possible consequences of modern civilization and the 'woke culture.' The story of Riddles Island appeared to be a picture of the climax of societal degradation, corruption, and feudalism. The characters in this book all came across as quite symbolic. Jed's character represented the old ways of living that sought to preserve nature's plan of existence. Dylan's character represented the faction that craved the rigid stability that the new civilization brought. Rory's character symbolized that part of human nature that would question and seek the truth.

As mentioned, the messages this book embodies are deep, diverse, and timely at this point in human civilization when science and the doctrines of modern religious sects question and alter the basics of natural existence. More so, the author passes essential messages with an entertaining story that will intrigue readers.

I could find nothing to dislike in this book. It was exceptionally edited, and I enjoyed reading it. I especially appreciated the sober reflections it aroused. I'd recommend this book to sci-fi, pro-nature, and pro-life fans. Everything about this book was perfect. Therefore, I'd rate it five out of five stars.

Riddles Island
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This sounds like the kind of book that I would like. Before I came here I didn’t realize that I like dystopian novel, but I do. Rory really seems like the kind of character I can connect with.
Edwardsjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edwardsjay.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Edwardsjay »

I found the names of the locations and the names given to a group of people quite hilarious. Great review.
vishnu4980
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by vishnu4980 »

The imagination that went into this book makes it interesting to read. I got used to the new pronouns pretty fast. The gender-neutral people add another element, as well as what life might be like without governments, corporations, children on the island, or cellphones and computers. Maybe not so bad. I enjoyed the characters and the tension of the problem[s] they solved and caused! It's a wakeup call to pay attention to what we are doing now.
rrafizzz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rrafizzz »

I rarely love dystopian novel, because type of set, moral and environment of the story is always beyond my imagination. So i must rush it into rocky way first. But in the end, as book going through halfway, you are going to be hooked up on this. No worries about the journey. I find it good from me whom rated harry potter overrated :D
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

I enjoyed this review and will try this book out. Well done.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

A thought-provoking novel set in a future in which today's problems are supposed to have been solved. The satyrical tone shows that not everything worked so well. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”