Review of Ice Dance

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Review of Ice Dance

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ice Dance" by Vik Azeem.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Hassan is a young Pakistani-American, who is trying to get by in life. However, the lack of income, loneliness, and foreseeable eviction from his small apartment sets Hassan on a path unrecognizable to his high-achieving family. As he attempts to fulfill his dream and pluck up the courage to do stand-up comedy, he meets the lovely Yasmine. The instant connection is compelling. Unbeknownst to Hassan, though, Yasmine has a deep, dark secret that will put the young man in danger.

Come follow the two, along with a lovable, yet terrifying friend, as they embark on a journey filled with magic, realm traveling, dangerous creatures, and more in Vik Azeem’s urban fantasy, Ice Dance.

There were several aspects of this book that were well-executed. Firstly, I thought the way the author tied in romance within the pages of Ice Dance was clever. It was evident how much Hassan cared for Yasmine and vice versa, but Mr. Azeem aptly did not overwhelm his storyline with romance. There were nothing more than slight kisses. Secondly, the twists and turns included in this fantasy kept me engaged. Thirdly, the characters were also likable and the humorous moments throughout the text lightened any serious plot points.

As with any book, there were areas that I felt could be improved and/or I enjoyed the least. Unfortunately, the plot was slow for the first quarter of the book. In addition, the amount of profanity was on the high side for me. Also, the amount of pop culture references included took away from the fantasy genre. Regrettably, there were also several errors scattered throughout Ice Dance. For instance, the realm the characters visited was Hollow-Maid. However, the author included multiple variations of the name, including “Hollow Maid”, “Hollowmaid”, and “HollowMaid”. These errors were distracting.

Ice Dance was an easy-to-follow read that had both positive features and ones that could be improved. The relationships between the characters and fast-paced ending made this an entertaining story. On the other hand, the errors included and some of the pacing could be improved. Considering everything, I rate Ice Dance by Vik Azeem three out of five stars.

Though simple enough of a text to comprehend, due to the amount of profanity included, the target audience would be those who are in the young adult age range and older. Those who find joy in reading simple fantasy and light romance, with a dash of humor, would also find this book enjoyable.

Ice Dance
View: on Bookshelves
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

Thanks for this review. I might consider to read the book.
Francis Kapola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Francis Kapola »

I appreciate the hard work you have done to share such an excellent review. It is good to know that this book contains profanity. I always do find some fun when characters exchange profane words against each other. It always intensifies the moment and makes a story lovely.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Romance is not my thing and I might be old for this novel though the fantasy elements are engaging, so I hope the author does proper proofreading. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”