Review of Fantys

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Review of Fantys

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fantys" by Jeff Wunder.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Ean is a self-proclaimed geek into science, technology, and the world of coding. When his younger sister, Arie, is spirited away by an elusive dark-haired child, he is determined to rescue her. It seems she possesses something that Zaphan, a world-hopping wizard, believes will help him hack a multiverse of twenty worlds, including Earth. He believes that the universe was created not by a superior being but through “code-like sequences of magic,” and he is bent on twisting these worlds beyond recognition. Ean will need more than science and technology to find his sister and stop Zaphan. When Arie disappears, he learns he has otherworldly friends he never knew about. What follows is a sometimes-humorous journey through multiple worlds that will lead him (and you, the reader) to question the very essence of reality.

If The Matrix and A Wrinkle in Time got together and had offspring, you would get Fantys by Jeff Wunder. You have the missing father, the kidnapped child, the older sibling determined to find and save them, and a collision of technology and magic. Throw Alice in Wonderland into the mix, and you also have multiple realities whose nature is vastly different and whose rules are sometimes difficult to wrap your mind around. It is a YA fantasy/coming-of-age novel featuring very relatable main characters with all the angst and confusion that comes with being a teen compounded by unexpected and unwelcome changes in their young lives.

Though the book targets a YA audience, some subjects explored are quite intense. While keeping the language understandable for the age group, Wunder deeply explores themes such as the nature of the soul. The author weaves these themes throughout the story and wraps them up neatly in the end. Still, readers will come away pondering topics such as methods of creation (i.e., people, worlds, and all that exists within them), the nature of reality, and the age-old question, “Who am I?”

Wunder has undeniable talent when using descriptive language. Through his writing, each world Ean visits is vivid and alive. The author is deft at using similes, metaphors, and personification to enhance his descriptions of each environment. “Above him, two of Anima's moons still shone, their pink and blue crescents pasted on the sky like thin craft paper. A bit lower, an orange sun peered over the horizon, still hesitant to intrude upon the night.” Each world the author has created is unique. They might be amusing or hellish or have fields of unending green grass. They might seem familiar or completely beyond your ken. No matter the environment, don’t bother to think you know what’s happening. There’s always a twist waiting for you just around the bend.

His character-building is no less skilled. One exception is that Ean’s thoughts occasionally seem a tad mature for his age. However, they can usually be attributed to his intelligence. “… on Earth, all of nature is in a never-ending war, and the first casualty of war is the truth.” As the main character, Ean matures more than any other character. We see him change gradually from a teen who only wants to be left alone with his technology to a young man shouldering responsibility not only for his little sister but also for his role in attempting to save the multiverse. (No spoilers!) In addition, some side characters also see growth, drawing the reader to feel emotionally connected to them. My favorite character was Nim, a young adult elf tasked with keeping Ean and especially Arie safe while they are hiding Arie from Zaphan. She is very caring toward them and takes her responsibility very seriously.

I personally enjoy philosophy and pondering existential questions, so the book hit a positive note with me. I found little to dislike. There was a single disconnect when they changed from one world to another in the beginning that gave me pause, but the author successfully explained it in the following two paragraphs. Errors mainly were in dialogue. Though these were obviously unintended, they numbered less than ten and did not unduly affect my reading flow. Given this, on a rare occasion for me, I award the book a solid 5 out of 5 stars due to its relatable characters, somewhat quirky storyline, and depth of thought-provoking subjects explored. I recommend it for a YA audience, generally favoring older teens who will better understand the subject matter involved. Adults who enjoy metaphysics, fantasy, and multiple-world scenarios would also find the book enjoyable. Welcome to the multiverse. Prepare yourselves to enter the endless search for truth vs. illusion.

Fantys
View: on Bookshelves
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

It would be interesting to know how he uses his science and technology knowledge to intercept spiritual forces or dark forces.
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

Because of my love for fantasy books I would want to read this book. Thanks for your honesty review.
Domeseo Camus Meda
Currently Reading: The Stealthy Viral Pimpernel
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domeseo-camus-meda.html
Latest Review: The Beautiful Business by Steven Morris

Post by Domeseo Camus Meda »

I find the book very interesting it talks to us about many interesting things.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This may be a little deep for me. I don’t think I’ll try it.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm happy that this novel can be enjoyed by older readers, as the mix of advanced technology and magic is intriguing! Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”