Review of Kin's Quest

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Andreea Giu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Sam Crescent
Currently Reading: Scarlett
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andreea-ag.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery
fav_author_id: 28491

Review of Kin's Quest

Post by Andreea Giu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kin's Quest" by Ron Root.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Kin's Quest by Ron Root is the second book in the series: Tales of Graal after Nexus Moons, although it can be read as a standalone. This book describes the magical world of Graal and the journey of Rayna and her husband, Gresham. Gresham is an orphan and only learns of his magical abilities when his uncle, Jerak, finds him. He strives to become a mage to be worthy of his pregnant and high-born wife. They embark on a perilous journey when Rayna comes into possession of a map describing where her long-lost mother might be. Bring into the mix an antagonistic faction willing to murder for the map, and we have an adventurous and captivating book. Read along to find out if Rayna and Gresham's mission pans out.

In terms of positive aspects, the plot was very intricate and captivating. I could not stop reading for fear of losing the suspense I had built with my many thoughts on the book. This tale made me think profoundly about the psychology of the characters, as I was set on Gresham and Rayna succeeding. I also enjoyed the setting of this book, namely the Middle Ages, since it added a bit of veracity to the magical elements, such as the existence of mages. If wizards were to exist, the most credible period would be the Middle Ages. Furthermore, the descriptions of the characters made them enjoyable to the reader as well as relatable. Even though there were quite a few characters, I could keep track of them with ease.

I immensely enjoyed this book, and I could not find any unlikeable aspects. I found no grammatical errors or typos, which leads me to believe this book was professionally edited. I enjoyed Ron Root's writing style and how he used descriptions to captivate his readers.

Given all of the reasons mentioned above, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. The book flowed nicely, and it kept me on the edge of my seat through all 312 pages. The author also added a layer of mystery to the book by employing aliases for the characters. I felt like this was a very nice touch.

This book is suited for any fan of fantasy books over the age of 16. There are a couple of scenes that are violent and graphic, so this book is not for sensitive readers. Although this can be read as a stand-alone, the characters gain a more complex psychological background if you read Nexus Moons.

Kin's Quest
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”