Review of The Mysterious City and Dark Realm Battle against Evil

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bright Ukaegbu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itz-savaga.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Review of The Mysterious City and Dark Realm Battle against Evil

Post by Bright Ukaegbu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mysterious City and Dark Realm Battle against Evil" by David Frier.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Mysterious City and Dark Realm Battle against Evil by David Frier is an enthralling dark adventure story about Greyson, a worker at an old Italian commercial restaurant. He lived a humble life in his New York City apartment. He saw a huge black snake from the window of his apartment and didn’t make so much of it until he started getting the news of people disappearing mysteriously in his area of the city. A homeless older man he encountered on the streets kept insisting to Grayson’s hearing that the big snake he saw was the cause of the mysterious disappearances. Grayson wrote his words off as those of a lunatic until he was forced to listen due to the continued disappearance of people in numbers. After discovering the pitch-dark bottomless hole where the snake lived, Grayson decided to go in search of it and save the world from this serpent. Join Grayson on his journey to the evil magical realm through the pages of this fascinating short story.

It was impressive to read the many details the author infused into his description of the evil magical realm. Attention to detail is one mark of a brilliant writer, and David Frier did a great job with that. At some point in this book, the reader will be able to form a pictorial representation of the evil magical realm and all the creepy beings Grayson encountered in his head. The book's conciseness is a plus, as some other authors would have bored the readers with an excessive number of characters and needless events that wouldn’t add much to the storyline. David Frier was concise, straight to the point, and minimalistic with the storyline, and a lot of readers will undoubtedly enjoy that.

I didn't appreciate that the author switched the perspective from which he told this story a couple of times in the book. Sometimes, he told the story from the third-person perspective and a few other times from the first-person perspective. That was a little confusing, as consistency in perspective is key to a wholesome appreciation of a story. However, that didn’t take so much away from my enjoyment of the book. I’m of the view that David Frier subjects this book to another round of thorough editing because I came across a lot of errors in it. I don’t think the book was very professionally edited. I noticed the absence of commas where there were obvious pauses in sentences. That could confuse some demographic of readers.

Regardless of the few negative points, I am still firmly of the opinion that The Mysterious City and Dark Realm Battle against Evil by David Frier is an intriguing read with many positives to it. I consider it very much deserving of a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. I thought it fair to remove a star because of the number of errors I found in the book.

I recommend this book to lovers of dark adventure stories and horror fiction. Readers who love to read about magical realms and antics should also read this.

The Mysterious City and Dark Realm Battle against Evil
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”