Review of Flames of Destiny

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Beyond the Sunset, a travel memoir, Volume 1
Bookshelf Size: 587
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Greta GarBITCH by Kimber Leigh
2023 Reading Goal: 100
2023 Goal Completion: 9%

Review of Flames of Destiny

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Flames of Destiny" by Brett Puffinburger.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Flames of Destiny: Flames Igniting is the first book in this series by Brett Puffinburger. Sixteen-year-old Princess Evangeline is to be wed to Rikard from Machina to ensure that King Ewan has peace in their country of Holy Ember. Before the end of the wedding ceremony, the palace is attacked by the Flame Province military, which consists of 5,000 soldiers. A prisoner in the jail who goes by the letter "A" escapes and rescues King Ewan and Princess Evangeline. A enters into a contract with King Ewan to take Princess Evangeline to a secret town called Silverlake in the southeast in exchange for a book with the history and map to the Lost Isles. If unsuccessful, the enchanted contract embedded above A's heart will make him die. Why did King Ewan enter a contract with a common thief? How did A fight off 5,000 soldiers? Will A fulfill the contract and get the book he so desires? What dangers do A and Princess Evangeline encounter?

Brett Puffinburger made the many different demons, orcs, ogres, elves, goblins, gargoyles, griffins, giants, homicidal trees, and walking skeletons easy to visualize with his vivid descriptions. There are many more sci-fi and fantasy characters, but this gives you a general idea of what to expect in this book. Lightning strikes and cannons kept me holding my breath to see if the characters would avoid the dangers. Each chapter title accurately describes what the chapter is going to be about. The plot of this story has many life lessons to learn. The one that I keep recalling in my mind is that you cannot judge someone by their past mistakes. People can change, even if they regret something in their past. The ending of this book gave me a good idea of what the next book in the series will be about, and I cannot wait to read it.

With all the goblins and other sci-fi/fantasy characters, this book will attract many younger teenagers. However, the amount of non-borderline profanity is inappropriate for this age group. This observation was the only thing I disliked about this book because the author could have told this story without all the profanity.

Another round of professional editing would have made a difference in the rating I gave this book. It had just enough errors that I was forced to deduct one star and give it 4 out of 5 stars. I was disappointed about this because I enjoyed reading the book.

Due to the non-borderline profanity content, I recommend this book to mature sci-fi/fantasy fans who like a little romance mixed in. I caution sensitive readers that this book does contain gory content that is vividly described.

Flames of Destiny
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Nicholas Bush
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholas-bush.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Nicholas Bush »

The review was nice and the rating was honest. I would.love to read this book for.myswlf as I enjoued your review. Kudos
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Enigma Rose
Bookshelf Size: 884
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am a big fan of science fiction, but not so much of fantasy. The characters that resemble humans do seem to make this something that I would like, though. I am interested in A’s story.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”