Official Review: Trespassers by Todd and Tim Wynn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TheMusicalMuse
Favorite Author: Victor Hugo
Currently Reading: The Druid's Curse
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themusicalmuse.html
Latest Review: "Trespassers" by Todd and Tim Wynn
fav_author_id: 3006

Official Review: Trespassers by Todd and Tim Wynn

Post by TheMusicalMuse »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Trespassers" by Todd and Tim Wynn.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The possibility of alien life has fascinated men and women for years. Stewart Faulkner is one such man. Along with his team--Web the Techie, Mindy the new girl, and Lambert the former marine--he is responsible for keeping alien visitors in check...and rounding up the trespassers who visit Earth without the proper registration or motives. "Trespassers" by Todd and Tim Wynn focuses on one particular set of extraterrestrial visitors that turns a routine ship confiscation into a mess and a half for Stewart and his team. The four aliens jump ship to avoid capture and to fulfill their top-secret mission: to find an intergalactic fugitive and protect the secret she keeps.

Said fugitive is Sara Baker, a young women living in Juniper, Indiana who has no idea that she's an alien...or that she's really anyone of significance. With all of her memory erased save the last eight months, she doesn't know that she's the object of a man hunt or that she has information that many foreign (read "interstellar") governments would go to great lengths to collect. As the book progresses, we watch Stewart and his team race against the team of illegal aliens to locate Sara, all while dodging the bumbling presence of a federal alien-hunter named Bruner.

In general, I'm wary of literature that involves aliens. It's challenging to depict them in such a way that they seem realistic and not cheesy. The Authors Wynn accomplished this through their premise that there are five different species of human, only one of which resides on planet Earth. Therefore, the visitors from outer space had all the characteristics of humans--no tentacles or pincers--but they had technology, customs, and languages that distinguished them from Earthlings. With the authors' skillful handling of the alien characters, I was able to dive into this book without getting hung up on the impossibility of crudely depicted visitors from outer space.

"Dive in" is probably less accurate terminology than "sucked in". A swashbuckling alien bounty hunter and his trusty sidekicks tracking illegal aliens through the cornfields of my home state? What's not to love? I'll admit, this book drew me in much like the tracker beam of the spaceship Stewart confiscated.

However, once I read past the exposition, I found myself slogging through a slew of background information while the story came grinding to a halt. It felt as though the authors were explaining their book idea to me in detailed paragraphs rather than letting the story unfold through the actions and dialogue of the characters. In a couple of cases, I ran into two paragraphs of back story that were only necessary to explain the following two sentences of dialogue, neither of which were crucial to the storyline. At that point, I almost stopped reading.

I'm glad I didn't. My complaints about the sparse dialogue, the lack of character development, and the agonizingly slow pacing dissipated about halfway through the book. The action picked up, and the characters came to life as their interactions revealed bits of their past. As I continued reading, I realized their speckled pasts would have an impact on the resolution of the book, and by the end, I thought I had the story all tied up in a nice little bow. Just when that thought crossed my mind, though, the authors blind-sided me with a surprise element that made the ending so much better than I expected.

Technically speaking, this book is extremely well-written. I don't recall seeing one grammatical or punctuation error, a fact that makes this book stand out above many other books I've read recently. And though "Trespassers" is clearly a science fiction novel--that kind of goes without saying when there are aliens present--the authors included notes of realism that made me think some of what they wrote could actually happen today.

Overall, I enjoyed reading this book. Though the pacing slowed down considerably in the first half, the second half more than made up the difference in the way the characters and their pasts connected through emotionally- and physically-charged scenes. For that reason, I give "Trespassers" by Todd and Tim Wynn 3 out of 4 stars.

Trespassers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble

Like TheMusicalMuse's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: Legacy of the Dead
Bookshelf Size: 382
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, insightful review. It's tough when the first part of the book is so draggy. Glad to hear that the second half of the story was better.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

TheMusicalMuse

Post by TheMusicalMuse »

Thanks. I think part of the problem could be that the first half seemed to drag because I read it in short spurts instead of one long haul, but the inverse could also be true: I read the first half in short spurts because it was dragging and I couldn't make myself read it for long periods of time. Either way, the second half was much more satisfying.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot

Michelle-lit
Currently Reading: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-lit.html
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor

Post by Michelle-lit »

This usually isn't my genre, but your review actually made me curious about the plot and what happens next. I might check this one out. I hope the slow parts are worth it in the end.
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: Legacy of the Dead
Bookshelf Size: 382
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

TheMusicalMuse wrote:Thanks. I think part of the problem could be that the first half seemed to drag because I read it in short spurts instead of one long haul, but the inverse could also be true: I read the first half in short spurts because it was dragging and I couldn't make myself read it for long periods of time. Either way, the second half was much more satisfying.
Hope the entire book is enjoyable with your next book selection. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

TheMusicalMuse

Post by TheMusicalMuse »

Michelle-lit wrote:This usually isn't my genre, but your review actually made me curious about the plot and what happens next. I might check this one out. I hope the slow parts are worth it in the end.
I'm also a little hesitant to get into something marketed as science fiction because there are some WILD, poorly developed novels in that niche. However, this one is nicely composed. The authors are also screen writers, and I think that background gives them an edge in writing well-developed storylines.
― Charles William Eliot

Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

It's too bad the book dragged in some spots. Really nice review!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden

Jaime Lync
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 150
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 500
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Very insightful review. I liked that the aliens were kinda humans but not really. However, after reading about how the story came to a grinding halt at one point I'm not sure I want to read it.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”