Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
the_silent_spectator
Currently Reading: The Book of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-silent-spectator.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by the_silent_spectator »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The kingdom of Voulhire with its mix of wealth, culture, and technology has found itself ahead of others as it hopes to usher in a new era of progressive development. Amidst all that’s happening there, there is the arrival of Galen from the land known as the Prince’s Islands. This book, the first part in the series focusing on the Voulhire kingdom and its surrounding lands, traverses Galen’s journey, as he escapes from an inferior and subjugated life onto an uncharted territory filled with new experiences. With multiple characters and sub-plots to hold one’s attention, the journey to Voulhire, the exploration of the kingdom and its people is filled with mysticism and amazement.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is an enthralling science-fiction novel written by Matthew Tysz. The novel serves as an introduction to the world of Voulhire and the neighboring lands. The characters along with their varied motives and aspirations are instrumental in depicting the major conflicts that become part of the overall narrative. The author takes a bold approach by including mature themes like pedophilia and torture in this fantasy story and it does blend in with the plot without diluting its impact in any way. The description of various commodities and their intricacies, found in the land of the Voulhire kingdom are masterfully rendered with a realistic effect by the crafty writing of the author.

In its entirety, I enjoyed reading this book. The world-building is quite expansive and the author has ensured that he has taken those initial measures to create an understanding of the land of Voulhire that he has envisioned. Along with that, he has also put particular attention to the characters that are going to play significant roles as the story progresses. The author’s way of mixing powerful magic and non-magic elements and creating a world that includes both is something that I particularly liked. I also found myself drawn to the intricacies of all the main characters and the characteristics exhibited by them allowing me to create my perceptions of what they wanted to achieve and where they were headed as they were bound to cross paths multiple times throughout the sequels. The characters all have their unique identities and for this, I compliment the author, who has ensured that the characters are not monotonous but rather have distinct personality traits. As I neared the end of the novel, I was in disbelief and excited at the prospect of seeing how and where the story would progress in the sequels.

There are, however, a couple of things that hindered my overall feel of the novel. One problem was the number of characters that the author introduced throughout the novel. After a point, it became quite difficult to understand who’s-who and their relevance to the plot. An inclusion of character information or even their background at the beginning of the novel along with the map that was already included would’ve helped in maintaining a clear understanding of all the characters that are depicted through the novel. Also, the other problem that I felt was the lack of pace in the initial portions of the novel. It wasn’t that problematic as I understood the author’s intentions behind setting up for what transpired later but it did create a sense of boredom initially which was completely swept away as the novel took a darker route catching me unawares.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. The book serves as an interesting first part of what the author professes to be a nine-part series. This book is exceptionally well edited, ensuring that there are no hindrances to the entire reading experience. I liked the novel and felt that it was a brave attempt by the author to explore darker themes and indicate what he is going to continue within his sequels. The only downside for me was the difficulty in keeping track of the multiple characters introduced by the author and the slowing-moving narrative at the beginning of the novel till around the middle section when the main plot progression happens. But all in all, the book certainly sets the tone as the first novel in the ‘We are Voulhire’ series and creates enough suspense and excitement for the next parts. I recommend this book to all fantasy aficionados but with a fair warning that the book contains mature themes so be wary of the same.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”