Review of Terms of Service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Review of Terms of Service

Post by khaulah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Terms of Service" by Craig W. Stanfill.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Craig W. Stanfill's sci-fi Terms of Service is set in the near future when humanity is under constant observation. Welcome to the world of full surveillance. Privacy has been erased by technology. Infallible AI systems automate low-level intellectual tasks to nothing. This is a world free of disease, gender, race, and religion. Crime ceases to exist. Kim is a young trainer who works for a corporation that uses artificial intelligence. She behaves like a model citizen and abides by all business policies. But as a result of her monotonous life, she becomes depressed and becomes more and more dependent on alcohol to deal with her inner conflict. She's on the verge of getting a promotion when a harmless bicycle trip with her childhood best friend makes her world go sideways. How is she going to survive in a world where everything she does and feels is being watched and recorded?

Every man is replaceable in a technocracy, but the obedience that makes order possible is not. Don't we all desire safety? To stop and avert crime, and to punish injustice? Would we be prepared to forgo our privacy in the name of the greater good? Terms of Service is a great metaphor for why privacy is important.

Terms of service is engrossing because it explores the consequences of the use of technology on many levels. How does robotic labor undermine human drive and a sense of purpose? What if these AI robots become capable of independent thought? It shows the inevitable consequences of our love for technology and depicts the struggle to remain human in the face of all-encompassing technological control. It stirs the readers’ mind to a close awareness that no matter how advanced the technology may become, humans stay the same. Kim seemed relatable because, despite having every luxury, she felt lonely and unfulfilled.

The fictional world's far-off future reflects a conceivable change in the present. The author has meticulously crafted a multifaceted, nuanced world that is deeply entwined with the experiences of the characters. The writing flows smoothly, and the dialogues between the characters feel genuine. No trivial or pertinent grammatical problems were discovered by me, and I have no unfavourable remarks to share about the work. I thoroughly enjoyed reading Terms of Service and inferring the points it had to make about the future of our world. Therefore, I award it 5 out of 5 stars. I appreciate that the author avoided using offensive language in the book. I would not suggest it to younger readers because of the sexually explicit content.

I would suggest Terms of Service to avid readers of science fiction who like stories about artificial intelligence. This book is also suitable for those who want to begin reading science fiction.

Terms of Service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”