Review of Terms of Service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MichelleYong
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelleyong.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Terms of Service

Post by MichelleYong »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Terms of Service" by Craig W. Stanfill.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Humans are born with free will, emotions, and distinct personalities. However, in a world where artificial intelligence reigns and efficiency is most valued, there is no need for such surpluses. Everyone is brainwashed to think that a hint of emotion is a misdemeanor and that freedom is a crime in itself. All of the human population is subjected to a strict routine where they must follow every command the system issues without fail or suffer severe consequences. Despite all-around efforts, is a human's true nature easily suppressed? 

This book got a very well-deserved "book of the month" title. One, the backstory is different from usual dystopian narratives. Contrary to how most stories are built on a backstory where humans and artificial humans are at war, this story is built on how both species coexist and go about their everyday lives. Craig W. Stanfill took this interesting idea and executed it with perfect storytelling.

The pacing of the story is very well-timed. Starting strong with immersive worldbuilding, Craig W. Stanfill detailed every rule and the different aspects of this society in a straightforward writing style, not only making it an incredibly fun read but also not dragging out the introduction of the main plot. The rising action was as engaging, if not more so than the exposition. The author sets up a few minor but relatable events to further deepen a reader's understanding of the world, while at the same time unfolding Kim's true character and perception of the world. The climax of the story is very satisfying. I appreciate how the author very subtly introduced the plot twist beforehand, and during the peak point of the story, it made full sense. What was only briefly explained before were ingenious little details that tied up all the loose ends to this point. The story then ended with hints for the next book and left me guessing how the story will then unfold. 

The characters are all masterpieces. The supporting characters had traits that made them somewhat different despite the circumstances. Also, they gave me the feeling that none of them wanted to obey the system, making the story much more believable. The main lead had vast character development. At first, she was a firm conformist, but as the story progresses, she slowly starts to learn more about herself. She suffers from conflicting thoughts and emotions and, alas, learns the ugly truth. She ended up fully rebelling against all she has been taught and every bit of how the world works, knowing how to stay true to herself as a human. Another noteworthy character is Kimberly. She not only served as a crucial turning point for Kim, but her personality and lovable side made her a character that I connected well with. 

At this point, I only have praise for this story; I cannot think of a part of it that I disliked. 

I rate Terms of service 5 out of 5 stars. To me, the worldbuilding and characters are all extremely satisfying, and the little details made a great addition to the already interesting story. This story is exceptionally well-edited. I could not find any errors; the delivery is concise, and the story flow is smooth. 

I recommend Terms of service to teenagers and adults alike. The fantasy and creative storytelling will greatly entertain any young mind, and the deeper and darker ideas can be fully appreciated by adults. It is also a must-read for everyone interested in sci-fi. 

Terms of Service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Yan Xue Ru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yan-xue-ru.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Yan Xue Ru »

This sounds like a terribly depressing book from what you have described, but it also sounds fun to read. Thanks for the good reveiw!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”