Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tiffanynettles
Favorite Author: Tami Hoad
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanynettles.html
Latest Review: "Fate Reborn" by Christina OW

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Post by tiffanynettles »

Catherine Crawfield isn’t your typical human, nor is she your typical vampire either. In fact she is a little bit of both. On her sixteenth birthday Cat learns that her mother had been raped by a red-haired “demon” which resulted in Cats birth, therefor she is a half human, half vampire. Fueled by fury Cat decides that she is going to hunt the undead in hopes of finding and killing her father.

It has been three years and she has collected quite a few kills. Her game plan is always to go to some club and lure the vamp to a secluded spot by means of seduction in order to kill him. Her plan had never failed, that is until she met him. His name is bones, and he is devilishly sexy, with platinum blond hair, a British accent, and never ending wit. While Cat manages to get them alone, he is on to her games and is expecting her attack.

After being knocked out, Cat wakes up and finds that he has chained her up in a cold, dark cave and she is certain that her death is imminent. Instead Bones comes in and demands to know who hired her to kill the vampire he was in town looking for. Come to find out, Bones is a vampire assassin and she had killed his target before he could. After he refuses to believe that she works alone, because no human female has the strength to kill vampires, she finally admits that she is a half human half vampire. It isn’t until he sees her eyes glow that he believes her though, because nothing like her had ever been heard of. Realizing that she would make the perfect weapon for his plan, he agrees to release her under one condition: she allows him to train her. Catherine absolutely loathes vampire and despises the thought of spending any time with him but knew that she had no other choice, and that he could make her a better killer.

Throughout this book Cat struggles with the fact that she is deeply attracted to Bones because she was lead to believe that all vampires are evil demons. Over time though, Bones makes her start to see that just because some vamps do evil things doesn’t make them all evil. He also helps her start to come to terms with who she is, and accept that just because her mother thinks she is half monster doesn’t make it true. As they are inevitably drawn closer to one another so is their target, and once they catch him events spiral out of control that will forever change the course of their future.

This book is filled with amazing action sequences, a lust filled romance, and enough witty sarcasm to keep you laughing as well. The characters are spell binding and you can truly feel the connection between them grow as you read it. Add in talking ghosts, ghouls, a secret government agency and an explosive ending that leaves you craving to know more, and you have a “can’t put it down even on a work night” kind of book .
Latest Review: "Fate Reborn" by Christina OW
sean97005
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by sean97005 »

This book was really good. This is the first book I have read by this author and I was really impressed.

The book got me wanting to read it more often then I usually read. I finished it in record time for me. The storyline had me guessing to the end.

The only reason I gave it a 3 star rating and not 4 was just because of the ending was very gory, a little too gory for me, but that's just a personal preference. I had to stop reading toward the end and take a few breaks simply because I couldn't handle all of it at once.

The story was great with love, suspicion, violence and other characteristics of a book that I enjoy. I really loved how the end had me guessing at the end and was surprised.

For anybody that's into vampire books I highly recommend this. Very good read. I will be reading more by this author, as this is the first in a series and I really like series books.
CryptQueen
Currently Reading: Working Stiff
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cryptqueen.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by CryptQueen »

I'm going to give you a bit of advice here. First one of the guidelines here is to start with summarising the book. I have no clue what the book is even about. Second of all talk about what you thought of the plot, the writing style, the characters, anything that stood out to you about things you really loved or really hated. I see you mentioned gore. Maybe talk a bit about the gore, if it was out of place or just goes wayyy too over the top. Also, say things like " the name of the book, the novel, the story, etc." Instead of repeating this book. Also, elaborate some more on what you're saying; like what about it is suspenseful really?

Keep at it though! Don't let this discourage you from making good reviews!
rosemarie 1732
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rosemarie 1732 »

This book was amazing. Its plot, characters and action made this book is a page-turner. The part about love is so developed that the reader can delight in both the action and the personal lives of the characters. This love adds spice to the plot of the book. It is so great that this book insist of fantasy and romance part because not every book has this incredible combination. Therefore, this book is engaging and I often return to it.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”