Review of Extraterrestrial Love

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Review of Extraterrestrial Love

Post by Aisha Yakub »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Extraterrestrial Love" by P.K. Thomas.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Seyai Narvez, a young alien, from the planet, Oceana, comes to Earth as a toddler in pursuit of her soul mate. Everyone from Oceana must go through this hunt with Osuarua’s blessing. Seyai begins to lose hope of ever meeting her true love after traveling from state to state with her family, searching for them, and experiencing significant heartbreaks. This happens until she comes into her new school’s biology class and feels strongly attracted to her sexy teacher, Zervan Michaels. Seyai is determined to win Zervan’s heart when he accidentally points out the first symptom of their mate link despite his marital status. Zervan tries to suppress the powerful spark between them to save his failing marriage, but the two eventually fall in love. The couple’s love is tested when Kashiek, an alien in Oceana, who is enamored with Seyai, attempts to keep them apart. Will their love endure? Will it crumble?

This book, Extraterrestrial Love: A Different World, by P.K. Thomas, had an interesting narration, and this drew me in. The setting of this book was commendable. I liked the sci-fi appeal of this book. It was great to read about different planets while reading about love. The mystical quality of this book made it enjoyable. In addition, the storyline was commendable. As I started reading this book, I was eager to find out more about the characters and their qualities. It had some pleasant moments and a good amount of suspense.

However, I had some issues with this book. The first issue I encountered was the age difference between the romantic partners. It was indicated at the beginning of the novel that all of the characters were up to eighteen years old. However, it was stated several times that the female lead, Seyai, was only seventeen years old. Zervan, the male protagonist, was twenty-seven years old. A seventeen-year-old high schooler having a romantic relationship with her married teacher seemed extreme. In addition, Seyai had a friend named Anaiel. Anaiel was younger than sixteen and had recently found a partner. Her partner was the wife of a senator; she was a woman in her 20s. I felt the age differences between the romantic partners in this book were too significant. While I enjoyed reading the romance, this negative aspect got in the way.

Some parts of this book seemed confusing. Seyai claimed her mother despised her. There were scenes where they disagreed. In a later chapter, though, they make a complete 180 and transition to the ideal mother-daughter relationship without a proper explanation. Also, the romance in this book was detailed. I commend the author's imagination to make it seem real. However, it could have been done with a little more chemistry between the romantic characters.

I rate this book 3 out of 5 stars. It was professionally edited. Also, it had a nice plot. I am deducting 2 stars because of the execution problems I had with the plot. These issues greatly affected my reading experience.

I recommend this book to readers who like romance and mystical novels. Readers should know that this book contains strong sexual content.

Extraterrestrial Love
View: on Bookshelves
Ilze Herholdt
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Salt of the Earth
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilze-herholdt.html
Latest Review: Healing Wounds of the Soul by Elizabeth Campos

Post by Ilze Herholdt »

I am a science fiction fan. This storyline seems very interesting from the beginning. Thank you for your review.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

This sounds like a great book to read and the journey to find one's life partner, even on a different planet. I am interested to read how this works and if there are any traditions that have an impact on their lives. The age difference doesn't bother me too much as I had a relationship with a 9 years difference while I was in high school. Looking from the outside, it does seem like a huge gap, but if both are out of school, that gap rarely matters anymore.
Vickali
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickali.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Vickali »

First, the cover of this book is appealing and lovable. Secondly, your review is insightful and well-written. I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for your review.
Lily Murray 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lily Murray 2 »

Your review was helpful in a way but I feel like you gave away a bit of some spoilers, though I still want to read it, it seems very interesting.
Geraldokeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geraldokeke.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Geraldokeke »

This book seems engaging judging from your review. I really enjoy science fiction books. Awesome review!
Grace Elkana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-elkana.html
Latest Review: Humanity Works Better by Debbie Cohen, Kate Roeske-Zummer

Post by Grace Elkana »

I understand your concern with the age difference. However, when it comes to relationships, age is only a number. I don't think that should be a problem for me.
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

A sci-fi that talks about how Seyai from Oceana planet comes to earth as a toddler in search of her soulmate and later falls in love with her biology teacher called Zervan. The book has a good amount of suspense but also has a few flaws such as the high age difference between the lovers. Thanks for the honest review.
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

What an excellent review. I mean, the storyline and the mystical quality of the book are indeed fascinating. I enjoyed every bit of it. Great work!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I have mixed feelings about this novel because of its mix of merits and flaws, so probably I'll skip it due to other novels that are more suitable to my taste. I'll keep it in mind in case I have some time. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”