Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrian-rondon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by Adrian Rondon Salazar »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Matthew Tysz did not limit his imagination and creativity when he created Voulhire, a territory where magic and politics are issues of great importance. Its cities are fantastic, and the events of the story happen in some of the cities. In Magnum Caelum is Galen, an immigrant looking to leave behind his precarious life in the Lands of the Princes. In Soulhire is Wilhelm, the King of Voulhire, doing his best to keep the peace in all the cities. In Hillport is Eldus, who comes to Hillport to inquire into matters related to the mage Meldorath.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is a book where a conflict between the kingdom and a group of rebels, Riva Rohavi, is presented. Magic doesn't make things simple; on the contrary, it makes the conflict more dangerous. Galen is the main character; however, all the characters have a problem to solve, problems that seem to be related to magic and the mage Meldorath. The unknown about war, the world of magic, and the problems of daily life are some of the themes that are developed during this story.

At the beginning of the book, I only found negative aspects. The story flowed very slowly, and the conflict with the rebels was not impressive enough for me. The main character, Galen, seemed to be in an alternate world, unrelated to the other characters. My first impression was that it was a medieval world or something like that; however, words like metrosexuality or sports like hockey are mentioned. I find it confusing; I didn't know if it was a modern world or slightly ancient. It seems to me that it is an original world, but that could be described better.

Although the story had a slow start, the story got better little by little. As the plot progressed, I was amazed by the magic, the technique to perform it, and that magical universe of which little is known: the magical universe of Caromentis. It was a story that kept me excited as a child. Magic is an outstanding element, but I also like the humanistic element of the story. The characters were constantly analyzing the behavior of others, their intentions, fears, and defects. One character, Demetrius, was constantly analyzing Galen and his companion, Rowan; as a result, the characters acquired greater depth. Controversial topics such as pedophilia are mentioned, and many dialogues put human morality and perversity to scrutiny; I loved that.

The editing work was excellent; I only found three errors. The slow start of the story does not diminish the quality of this book, and surely with the following books, the world will be better described. Therefore, I give this book a perfect rating; I rate it 5 out of 5 stars. It is a book that surprised and amazed me with its magic and characters. I recommend it to lovers of fantasy stories with political conflicts and wars.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Faith Ejai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-ejai.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Faith Ejai »

I loved the way you wrote the review. I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for providing this useful information. I'm sure many will love this book.
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrian-rondon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Adrian Rondon Salazar »

Faith Ejai wrote: 04 Jan 2023, 04:08 I loved the way you wrote the review. I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for providing this useful information. I'm sure many will love this book.
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the review. I liked the book a lot. It's a saga, so there's entertainment for a while.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”