Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hannah Hampton
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-hampton.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Knowledge by Terence H.Young

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by Hannah Hampton »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is a fantasy novel with elements of adventure and science fiction. This story documents the adventures of several different characters all bound by their connection to the nation of Voulhire. Whether defending a small fishing town or learning how to manage a recently acquired forge, the citizens of Voulhire are lively and interconnected in ways only fate will reveal.
Eldus is a newly appointed governing authority in the small fishing town of Hillport, intent on improving the economy and providing a safe environment for his family and subjects. Galen, a citizen of the war-torn Lands of the Princes, receives a letter informing him of an opportunity to inherit his uncle’s forge. His fateful trip to the city of Magnum Caelum initiates a journey of friendship, self-discovery, and adventure.
The intricate universe that Matthew Tysz has built in his novel is incredible, the politics and social structure are so three-dimensional and seem very real. The magic system is well-developed, with different classes and uses of magic clearly defined. Whenever a new element is introduced, it is explained in a way that does not interrupt the narrative flow.
The mystery element of the story is set up and paced extremely well. It never feels like the reader is missing information to fully appreciate the story, but the suspense is never too predictable, either. This takes a lot of skill, especially in a universe as complex as this, where a lot of information needs to be made digestible to the reader while keeping the story alive and interesting.
The only part of the novel that I found a little bit distracting was the mention of elements of the real world in the fantasy world of Voulhire. The setting is heavily medieval-inspired, so when real-world occupations and institutions are brought up, it is a little bit jarring. However, this did not detract at all from the story, it is simply a small facet of it that seemed out of the ordinary to me.
I would recommend this book to any fans of high fantasy or complex worldbuilding in general. I did not find any spelling or grammar mistakes, this was exceptionally edited. Fans of Game of Thrones in particular will enjoy the politics and storytelling style that Tysz employs. For the excellent worldbuilding and character development, I rate this book a perfect 4 out of 4 stars. Out of 5, I would rate it a 4 out of 5 stars.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”