Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Israel Ozoigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-njoku-1.html
Latest Review: The Making of Evil by C. Ross Dutton

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by Israel Ozoigbo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first book of the series We Are Voulhire. It is a fantasy story about a boy named Galen and a land called Voulhire. Galen was from a war-torn place. He finally found a narrow escape by leaving his hometown, and he left. He headed to the city of Magnum Caelum in the beautiful land of Voulhire, where he was going to inherit his uncle's property. This story is narrated from the first-person point of view of Galen Bray and from the third-person perspective, too.

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies is a book that focuses its main purpose on introducing the imaginary world of Voulhire and its inhabitants. Like every other nation on earth, Voulhire is not devoid of the politics and issues brought by change and economic growth. Everybody in Voulhire struggles to be known for a particular thing: magic, wealth, or strength. Galen, who was privileged to come to the land, is now left to decide his fate there. This book also focuses on other characters, for example, Lord Meldorath, a vicious mage, and Riva Rohavi, a subtly growing terrorist. This book would answer some of the reader's questions like, "Is Lord Meldorath as bad as he seems?" Or "Are his vices aimed at proving a point"?

Matthew's storytelling is gripping; he did a good job of describing things, places, and events perfectly. At one point, I felt like I was watching a movie; knowing that this is a fictional book, I also applauded the author again because, with the narrations, I thought Voulhire was a real place. This book has a map of the imaginary world of Voulhire. This book was intriguing and enjoyable, and it kept me on the edge of my seat; I couldn't stop reading it once I started.

Well, what I disliked about this book was the little confusion that happened at the beginning. It started with Galen, who I thought would be the main focus of the story, which later shifted to the land of Voulhire. It was a bit confusing, and it took a little while to get it right. I was also slightly disturbed by some magic-related details, but I came to understand from the author that he was just trying to replace modern technology with ancient technology to make it fit into the storyline.

I am rating this book 4 out of 4 stars because it is professionally edited and void of errors. However, I found some profane words. This book was enjoyable and thrilling. I would recommend it to anyone over the age of 15 or with a mature mind. I wouldn't recommend it to a younger audience, as it contains some violent scenes. I also recommend it to anyone who loves fantasy stories. This was indeed a great read.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”