Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nessa Taylor
Favorite Author: Charles Townsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nessa-taylor.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale
fav_author_id: 232651

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by Nessa Taylor »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first installment to the fantasy-novel collection ''We are Voulhire''. This fascinating story is based on a new world called Voulhire. The story sets the stage by introducing us to a king, The Emperor of Lullabies, who has four sons. He fears that they will all vie to take his place, and to avert this disaster, he gifts his sons with an island each along with more money than they would ever need. Still, chaos and war prevail, which pushes one son, Galen, to leave the kingdom and venture to Voulhire. Galen Bray views Voulhire as a country of greatness and opportunity where anything is possible. Little does he know, behind the scenes lurks a power struggle between the King and his former confidant, Lord Meldorath. As the land of Voulhire struggles to find its place in the world, Galen may in fact have a huge impact on the foreign land.

This was a complex but interesting novel. This first book acts as an introduction to the series. We are given plenty of background and introduced to a lot of characters. It could have been very difficult to follow, but the chapters are kept short with a title to each on whom the narration is focused on. This allows the reader to establish a relationship of sorts with the characters, and I was able to be drawn into the story. I really loved how the author uses words that help the reader fully visualize the story. I could clearly imagine the beautiful world that he described. I also loved the use of simple day-to-day language used by the author, it gave me the perception that the story is unfolding in our own existent world. The characters are uniquely different and all are enchanting in their own way.

I don't dislike anything about this book, as Matthew Tysz created a wonderful new world for me to dwell in. I'm very much looking forward to reading the next book and following this story to find out what will be in Voulhire.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars because it was such a captivating and well-thought out book. I found myself anticipating every single chapter. The last few chapters, in particular, were very intense and thrilling and kept me on the edge of my seat as it all played out. It was also exceptionally well-edited.

The book contains themes like magic and sorcery, therefore I recommend this book to young adult readers and fantasy lovers.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”