Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Promise Precious Stephen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-promise-precious-stephen.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by Promise Precious Stephen »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review for We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies[ by Matthew Tysz/i]

The novel We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz surprised me by how much I enjoyed it. I couldn't put this novel down. The novel begins with the phrase "Once there was...", which has the feel of a fairy tale and causes you to lean back in your chair and become engrossed. In a strange and fascinating country, the strong kingdom of Voulhire, which is on the verge of a golden age and where the components of riches, culture, and technology in a rapidly evolving planet are not alien to our own, is introduced to us in the novel. This is a tale of vengeance and power. A flawless world is promised by Faith, Science, and Magic, each in their own conceited way, as the inhabitants are seen to struggle for identity. The protagonist's point of view is initially presented in the novel, but as it progresses, the reader learns more about numerous other characters, leaving them puzzled as to who the true protagonist is. I found it particularly admirable that the author gave the supposed opponent a complete build-up before introducing him or her about halfway through. I began to doubt my snap decisions and the underlying assumptions of many other important characters after getting a glimpse of the antagonistic side of the narrative.

Gallen, the primary character, is a war-torn native who lives in poverty. He is on a boat when the book opens, traveling to his uncle's estate to accept an inheritance. On the boat, we learn about the legend of the Emperor of Lullabies. The Emperor of Lullabies had four sons, and he feared that one day they would defeat him and seize his throne. Each of the Emperor's sons was assigned to a different island. A civil war started as the boys got older and took control of their islands. Gallen is on a boat heading to the county of Voulhire, which is under the control of King Wilhelm. There are numerous cities there, as in any country. The capital city of Voulhire, Soulhire, a more dangerous area named Virko, the Holy Land of Yamon Soul, and Magnum Caelum, the small town Gallen is visiting, are just a few. A significant character in the book, Rowan, is a person Gallen eventually meets. Once at Magnum Caelum, Gallen signs the documents to claim his uncle's inheritance, which includes a home and a forge. When he arrives at the residence and company, which are known as Onita Steel, Rowan hands him the deed to both a notebook and a letter. As a result of the letter, he joins Rowan in attempting to restore peace and wholeness to the county. Instead of giving anything away, I'll just say that you could see inside his head. He experienced the same feelings and had the same thoughts that you and I have every day. He wasn't particularly exceptional or extraordinary, just realistic!

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz has a wonderful descriptive text throughout as well. Page three, for instance, describes how "the war dragged, like fingernails splitting in the dirt." I enjoy reading things that stimulate your creativity. It gives the impression that you are there, actually living what you read. The storyline is quite intriguing and captivating.

Trying to keep the characters straight was what I found annoying. I wish a character list had been included after the map so you could have a head start on identifying everyone. so that you will remember who they are and what they do when you encounter them in the novel. You can always return to the list if needed.

I saw no grammatical or typographical problems in the book, which is a testament to its superb editing. Due to this, I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to people who love reading stories about medieval times or fantasy, and also to anyone looking for a temporary escape from everyday life.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”