Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (spoilers)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BVos25
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bvos25.html

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (spoilers)

Post by BVos25 »

I wanted to share this book as my first review. It is the series I keep closest to me since it feels like it was my introduction to science fiction and fantasy. Beware there will be spoilers for the book itself ahead.

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs is a nice introduction to the urban fantasy scene for the uninitiated. It can also be a refreshing change of pace for those who are familiar with the genre. The story is set in Tri-Cities, Washington with the occasional trip out of state. Mercedes or Mercy Thompson is a woman who just wants to survive in her own little corner of the world and not be involved in trouble. Mercy does her best to be an overall good person, and occasionally reflects on her faith for guidance, but she’s not afraid of making a tough decision and is ready for the consequences. Mercy was born a coyote walker, or a coyote shape shifter, and because of this she was sent to live with a werewolf relative since her human family didn't quite know how to cope with her. The werewolves often didn't know what to do with her either, and she often got herself into trouble as she didn't have to rely on the same set of instincts that werewolves have.

The Fae and vampires are both a presence in the book, though up until a certain point it is only the Fae who have made themselves public. Mercy’s former boss and longtime friend, Zee is fae, and introduced her to the shop that Mercy now owns and runs. It’s at her shop that the story begins for the reader when Mac shows up looking for work, and Mercy’s keen nose tells her that this lost boy is a werewolf. She tolerates him at first, wanting to extend a helping hand to Mac but unwilling to involve herself with the local alpha at first.

It’s not until she and Mac are attacked at her shop, and Mac starts losing control that Mercy calls Adam, the alpha for help. From there the situation becomes more dire when the house the pack shares is attacked and Mercy feels that she can’t trust the pack members with their alpha’s life. It’s at this point she decides her old hometown in Montana is the safest place for the both of them. It’s also here that she runs into an old flame, Sam, who will insist on helping Mercy despite her wishes with the hopes the he can win her affections back.

Moon Called is a fun start to the so-far eight book series, but it can also be read as a stand-alone novel. Patricia Briggs does a fine job in tying up the book neatly so that the reader’s questions are answered. None of the books are truly a sequel, but more like another story in this vast and somewhat familiar world, though they do build from the previous book. Mercy narrates the series herself and always catches up the reader on pertinent information for the current story. The books are all a short and quick read, and the series does sport several short stories as well as a spin-off series that focuses more on paranormal romance.
scquarantillo
Favorite Author: rachel vincent
Favorite Book: Forever by Judy Blume
Currently Reading: Undead to the World
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scquarantillo.html
fav_author_id: 4455

Post by scquarantillo »

This is one of my favorite series! Patricia Briggs is one hell of a writer! I really can't get enough of Mercy, Adam, Sam, and Warren. I get so lost in the world Briggs creates and I am dying to read the next book!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read this book and liked it. I plan to read the other books in the series as well.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
scquarantillo

Post by scquarantillo »

gali wrote:I have read this book and liked it. I plan to read the other books in the series as well.
I would highly recommend this series! Who was your favorite character besides Mercy? Mine is Warren or Ben. While totally different characters, both captured my heart and attention! Briggs really has a talent for creating awesome side characters.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by gali »

scquarantillo wrote:
gali wrote:I have read this book and liked it. I plan to read the other books in the series as well.
I would highly recommend this series! Who was your favorite character besides Mercy? Mine is Warren or Ben. While totally different characters, both captured my heart and attention! Briggs really has a talent for creating awesome side characters.
Thanks. I hope the second book is as good as the first. Those were my favorite as well. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
scquarantillo

Post by scquarantillo »

Honestly the books just keep getting better and better. Most series have a book or two that was a filler until another great book is written and tge Mercy Thompson series has none of that!
BVos25
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bvos25.html

Post by BVos25 »

scquarantillo wrote:Honestly the books just keep getting better and better. Most series have a book or two that was a filler until another great book is written and tge Mercy Thompson series has none of that!
This really is true. Every book adds to the environment and they have a good balance of drama and humor. Also my top favorite series, I'm glad to see other people enjoying it.
Thimble
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Thimble »

This is a fantastic series. I find all of them add to the story. I have read some of the other books she's written that don't take place in the Mercy Thompson or Alpha and Omega world and they're good, but not as enthralling. I feel that the writer's heart is more into these books and with the others she was just starting (I think they were published first. I may be wrong) or didn't like the characters as much.
Deee
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18984">The Two Towers</a>
Currently Reading: Second Foundation
Bookshelf Size: 1417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deee.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Deee »

The first time I read this book, I only thought it was ok. The second time I read it, I liked it more. That happens to me sometimes if I was in a different place emotionally. However, since I liked it more after the second time, I will continue with the series. I hope it gets even better.
"But to find out the truth about how dreams die, one should never take the word of the dreamer."

Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye.
RooneysReviews
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rooneysreviews.html
Latest Review: "Magpie" by M.A. Reyes

Post by RooneysReviews »

Moon Called (and really the rest of the Mercedes Thompson series) is a wonder work of literature! Briggs writes a wonderful mix of normalcy and supernatural that would delight almost any reader. Once she starts adding in splashes of romance, it's almost impossible to put this book down. Mercy is the wittiest character and also extremely clever. The first person point of view is perfect for these novels since it opens her mind to the reader and allows us to understand the inner workings of the werewolf community as well as the mysterious fae species.

On that note, Brigg's complexity of the werewolf community tends to fade in the background but is a work of art in itself. Bran's (the leader of the werewolves) personality and mysterious backstory never cease to grab the reader's attention and creates a subtle depth to the character (which is explored more in Brigg's Alpha and Omega series). This is a wonderful PG (although some darker topics are covered in the third book of the series) novel for young readers or older readers that are always looking for a wonder new story.
Latest Review: "Magpie" by M.A. Reyes
ola dark
Favorite Author: Joe Abercrombie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6904">The Blade Itself (The First Law # 1)</a>
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ola-dark.html
fav_author_id: 3904

Post by ola dark »

scquarantillo wrote:
this is my second favorite series (the first is Kate Danials ) every now and then , I relisten to the audiobooks , my favorite character in the series is Bran , I like that he (mostly) balance his leadership with his personal life ..
kaden2
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaden2.html

Post by kaden2 »

I would highly recommend this series! Who was your favorite character besides Mercy? Mine is Warren or Ben. While totally different characters, both captured my heart and attention! Briggs really has a talent for creating awesome side characters.[/quote]

Well I have followed this series from the time there were only two out. So to be honest I think I would have to say Mercy. she is the heart and backbone of the story.
MythicDrmR
Currently Reading: Empire of Night
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mythicdrmr.html

Post by MythicDrmR »

I found Mercy some years ago and fell in love with her, and of course her world. As time has moved on she has grown in spirit, wisdom, and power. Met her father, sort of, and dealt with some interesting characters - witch, vampire, and fae alike. I will read and reread them as some of my most favorite books, individually and collectively. I have trouble putting them down once I start.
Miche Sora
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Post by Miche Sora »

Long ago, in a town (thankfully) far far away, there was a cool bookstore called Mysterious Galaxy, which had awesome employees who could recommend awesome books. The Mercy Thompson books were one of the series they introduced me to. Coyote, Bran and Charles are some of my favorite characters, apart from Mercy of course, and I also enjoy the Alpha and Omega series.
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs
CNykile
Bookshelf Size: 38

Post by CNykile »

I have to agree that this is a good initiation into the urban fantasy scene. I usually don't like modern fantasy but this one took hold of me. The entire series is well written and I love it. (Though I have to admit I am behind.)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”