Review of Nirvatra

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Review of Nirvatra

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nirvatra" by April Thomas.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nalah and her hunting party, who were Nirvatran, were attacked by a group of Navah hunters. The Navah people were coldhearted and selfish. Riches, power, lust, and beauty meant everything to them. They believed that love was a sickness that had to be overcome, and they enjoyed slaughtering the Nirvatran people. The Nirvatrans were more spiritual; when possible, they chose to live in love and peace.

Running for their lives, Nalah and her brother were chased by Kahlan, the prince of Navah, who was determined to slay both of them. They managed to overcome Kahlan together, and Nalah was about to kill him to protect themselves and their people from a possible future attack from him. However, she noticed that his chest glowed red, which was a sign in their tribe that he was intended by the “Creator” to be her mate. What should she do? Kahlan obviously despises them and, if given a chance, could make them regret any weaknesses on their part. On the other hand, according to their beliefs, Nalah would no longer have a soulmate and would live the rest of her life in loneliness if she eliminated him.

Nirvatra: The Hunter and the Hunted by April Thomas is a 224-page novel listed in the science fiction/fantasy genre. This is the first book in the Nirvatra Trilogy series. Although it doesn’t end on a cliffhanger, many questions are unanswered. Therefore, it shouldn’t be read as a standalone novel. The author’s imagination is revealed in this descriptive and plausible tale about the Navah and Nirvatran people, who are as different as night and day. The kingdoms they reside in represent the people who live there—Navah is bitterly cold and cloudy, whereas Nirvatra is sunny and warm. The action in the story begins immediately with Nalah and her brother trying to escape from the hunters. Just when you catch your breath from the previous suspenseful escapade, another one is revealed, leaving no room for boredom.

The character development is superb. One watches as Nalah and Kahlan fight their feelings for each other. They both feel love isn’t possible because of the differences in their people’s beliefs. For Kahlan, predominantly, it goes against everything he has been taught since his birth. For him, Nirvatrans are to be despised and killed. If it was known in Navah that he had fallen in love with a Nirvatran, he would be scorned and put to death if they could not “cure” him of his “infection.” For Nalah, the chance that she would be leading her family and tribe members to their deaths by revealing their whereabouts to him doesn’t seem worth her personal happiness. We see these beliefs change as the story progresses, and we witness the bravery in both of them as they fight for each other.

Although I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, many errors were encountered. First, a formatting issue was discovered. Nine pages were provided in the first chapter, each with the appropriate number at the bottom. Then, the page count started over again in the second chapter. Numerous grammatical and punctuation errors were discovered. I found over ten mistakes in the first ten pages. Some required rereading to understand. For example, “He looked around for anyone else who may have been hiding releasing a deafen roar he aim to provoke anyone who dare to cross him.” This should have been written as, “He looked around for anyone else who may have been hiding; releasing a deafening roar, he aimed to provoke anyone who dared to cross him.”

The errors were the only thing I disliked about the novel. However, they were too numerous and distracting to ignore. Therefore, it achieves a rating of two out of four stars. Some readers who enjoy fantasy books with lots of action can still appreciate the story. Occasional profanity and some violence are encountered in the novel, so if that is offensive to the reader, they might want to look elsewhere.

Nirvatra
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: Charlie's Diner
Bookshelf Size: 998
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Before The Storm by Charles Wendell Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Wow! Your summary of this first book in the series makes me really want to read it. Mention of the many errors gives me pause, however. If the author takes your advice and fixes them I’m gonna go for it.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Amy Luman wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 15:12 Wow! Your summary of this first book in the series makes me really want to read it. Mention of the many errors gives me pause, however. If the author takes your advice and fixes them I’m gonna go for it.
I certainly hope she does--it definitely would raise the rating and could possibly even get four stars at that time. Thanks for stopping by!
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
2023 Reading Goal: 50
2023 Goal Completion: 46%

Post by Kavita Shah »

A good story with numerous errors. The plot sounds great and I really appreciate a good dilemma. Thank you for a great review!
Hannah Mae Fabro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mae-fabro.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Hannah Mae Fabro »

The plot of the book sounds intriguing but when you mentioned the numerous errors, I was disappointed. Thank you for your honest and justified review.
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

Nirvatra sounds a little cliched from your description, but think I can get attached to the characters of Nalah and her brother and I love a good fantasy. Thanks for the review.
it is what it is ....
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Kavita Shah wrote: 06 Oct 2022, 08:01 A good story with numerous errors. The plot sounds great and I really appreciate a good dilemma. Thank you for a great review!
You boiled it down in a nutshell. :lol: I appreciate you taking the time to read my review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Hannah Mae Fabro wrote: 07 Oct 2022, 02:02 The plot of the book sounds intriguing but when you mentioned the numerous errors, I was disappointed. Thank you for your honest and justified review.
I hope the author gets the errors fixed. It will then be an excellent story. Thanks for stopping by!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

readinginahammock wrote: 07 Oct 2022, 02:42 Nirvatra sounds a little cliched from your description, but think I can get attached to the characters of Nalah and her brother and I love a good fantasy. Thanks for the review.
They are definitely very different kingdoms, and it is hard to like the people from Nirvatra. However, there might be a change coming in the future installments; I am very curious to see. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

The book has so much promise but for the errors in it. I hope the author does something about this as soon as possible. Thanks for an honest and detailed review as always.
Judy_Akha
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-akha.html
Latest Review: The Dragon Who Would Be King by Anne Peters

Post by Judy_Akha »

The title and cover are mystical, as I understand this book is a mix of action and fantasy. I hope the author will fix the errors. Thank you for your honest review.
Sarah tianna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tianna.html
Latest Review: Reverse Chronic Kidney Disease by Yaw A. Boateng

Post by Sarah tianna »

Based on the review, I can conclude this book is absolutely fascinating and engaging. I look forward to reading this amazing book. Thanks for a mindblowing review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Saint Bruno wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 03:13 The book has so much promise but for the errors in it. I hope the author does something about this as soon as possible. Thanks for an honest and detailed review as always.
I hope she does as well because the book has a lot of potentials. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Judy_Akha wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 06:27 The title and cover are mystical, as I understand this book is a mix of action and fantasy. I hope the author will fix the errors. Thank you for your honest review.
Me too. There is definitely a lot of action; it won't disappoint readers in that regard. Thanks so much for your input!
Okorji98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

The character development is superb. One watches as Nalah and Kahlan fight their feelings for each other. Great review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”