Review of Of Zots and Xoodles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
James Nicholas75
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-nicholas75.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review of Of Zots and Xoodles

Post by James Nicholas75 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Of Zots and Xoodles" by Zarqnon the Embarrassed.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On a certain Tuesday, Theodil enters a room occupied by people and begins to display his creative prowess. He generates dots by rolling dice. The dots are called "Zots" because they look like spots. Theodil will have to stack the spots and manipulate them to bring other things into existence. But the people are impatient; they want him to skip the process and get everything done as soon as possible. He will have some obstacles to contend with.

Of Zots & Xoodles is written by Zarqnon the Embarrassed. The book is illustrated by Frank Louis Allen. This book contains Zarqnon's ideas on how the universe and the entirety of things therein came into existence. It is a scientific explanation of how everything in the universe came into existence using parameters such as energy and collision. You will need to acquaint yourself with basic concepts in the sciences to be able to appreciate these ideas.

There were some striking questions raised in this book. I found the following especially insightful: "Why cannot the future pre-exist, and allow our past to unravel, and the now be the point of unjoin?" (page 37). I liked how the author showed, through the character Theodil, that diligence and precision are essential qualities of a professional creator or artist.

I found the illustrations in this book relevant; they helped to interpret the various processes Theodil used to create "Zots," "Xoodles," "Light," "Spungic," and "time." I commend Zarqnon for the effort he put into editing this book; I found only two grammatical errors in it.

I commend the author for his intentional word choices. Many of the words had a strong musical effect on me while I was reading this book. Sometimes I felt like I was singing. You can check out the following lines: "Why must they be smished and smushed, squashed and squalored..." (page 22) and "Theodil grabs the dice and hands the child a set of dice" (page 42). Aren't these lines musical?

I don't have any negative concerns about this book. I am pleased to rate Of Zots & Xoodles four out of four stars. This rating is based on the positive points I highlighted in the above paragraphs. I can't rate this book anything below this because there is no reason to deduct any stars from the rating. Those that enjoy reading sci-fi or fantasy books will have a great time reading this book. The author's ideas and opinions are insightful.

Of Zots and Xoodles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”