Ready Player One (spoilers) - My New Fav Book

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
eallison916
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... lexicon</a>
Currently Reading: The Dusty Ones
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eallison916.html

Re: Ready Player One (spoilers) - My New Fav Book

Post by eallison916 »

I loved Ready Player One! I'm not much of a gamer, but Cline wrote in a way that the story was still completely accessible without the references (of which there are many), and all the more delightful when the references were understood. Definitely recommend this read.
firefly_1995
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by firefly_1995 »

SO thrilled you enjoyed this book! I loved it, and am going to be dealing with it a lot in an upcoming class this semester. I didn't understand all the 80's references, due to my birth being in the middle of the 90s, but I loved it all the same. I'm curious as to if you checked out his second novel, Armada? I thought it was more rushed and wasn't quite the masterpiece that Ready Player One was.
Rick Kitchen

Post by Rick Kitchen »

I'm reading this right now, and am loving it. Can't wait to see how it ends, even though I'd much rather it never end. :)
jfaisman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfaisman.html

Post by jfaisman »

I really did enjoy the book! Even without understanding more than half of the references I found that the plot and characters were enough to carry it and make it enjoyable
jennifer5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer5.html

Post by jennifer5 »

I'm so glad I fond a forum where people actually like the book. This book seems to get so much flack but I really had fun with it. I will admit the quality of the first half was much higher than the second half, but it's not like I stopped enjoying it!
Keekscherrington

Post by Keekscherrington »

I’ve recently read the book ready player one by Ernest Cline. As you may know this book is going to be turned into a film, this is why I wanted to ready it before the film is released.

I myself really enjoyed this book, even though it wasn’t well paced or well written in a lot of parts. I though the overall story was worth giving it a read. I do believe it should do well as a film, maybe even better than it has at being a book, if it is done well that is.
Feel free to let me know what you think however!

I was just wondering if anybody else has read this and what they think?

I’m new here and hope to become a good addition to this community.
If anyone can give me tips on how to get started then I would be happy to hear them. Also I thought it would be good to introduce myself by making a topic for us to talk about here.

My name is Kieran btw and I hope to get to know many new people here!
anafemaraya

Post by anafemaraya »

I also don't know a lot of this site too, and not aware how can I earn here.. But I just open the site to read books they have... And some books are amazing and love to read it.. And forums are enjoyable to read and reply... Books are good to read. You will enjoy reading it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Nice to meet you Kieran. I have not read the book nor did I know it was being turned into a movie. Is it on Amazon? I'll have to look it up. Hope you enjoy it here! I would definitely recommend reading the FAQs. Lots of good information there!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

Hi Kieran! I read Ready Player One a while ago - I thought it was a neat concept but I agree that it got bogged down in places. The endless 80s name-dropping got kind of repetitive after a while too. It'll be interesting to see what the movie's like. I'm sure the visual effects will be stunning. Welcome to the forum! :)
innah96
Currently Reading: How A Good Person Can Really Win
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innah96.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by innah96 »

kandscreeley wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 09:25 I have not read the book nor did I know it was being turned into a movie. Is it on Amazon?
Hello kandscreeley, I got mine on Audible, as an audio copy, but I am pretty sure that they have it on amazon. :)
Last edited by innah96 on 12 Feb 2018, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
innah96

Post by innah96 »

Hi Kieran,

I have just finished reading Ready Player One as well, and I loved it. I agree that there are moments when 1980's become overrated, and things become to get said a few times, so I felt like reading the same thing again and again.
But I also loved the whole - contest- element in it, and the way the characters thought and felt, and I really loved Parzival :D

As for the movie, I am so excited to see it, and I kind of think that there will be a lot of recent movies and video games featured as well, I saw Tracer from Overwatch in the trailer etc.

But I really loved the idea of a virtual world, and even though we are very close to it, I mean we have VR games and all sorts of Alexa's and etc, but imagine working and going to school in the Oasis, as an avatar. Would you like that? I think that would be nice, but I prefer the reality. Do you maybe think that that is what is going to happen in the next few years? People going all virtual?
innah96

Post by innah96 »

Everyone my age remembers where they were and what they were doing when they first heard about the contest.
This is a review of the book Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. It is the first audio book I have ever listened to. I am more of a paperback copy type of girl - but I must admit, I really loved listening to Wil Wheaton's voice!

We are in the year 2045, where while Earth is deserted and almost destroyed, people don’t realise because they are too busy living in a virtual world - the Oasis!
The Oasis is a place where you can create an avatar for free, you can level up, you go to a school and you work inside the Oasis. This virtual world is filled with references from the 1980s. Cities are built in such a way, video games and books and movies still go on.

When the famous creator of the Oasis, James Halliday, dies, it turns out that there is a contest, and the person that will manage to find the ‘’egg’’ would inherit ownership of the Oasis.

We see the story from the point of view of the young Wade, that calls himself Parzival in the Oasis. He is in love with everything from the 1980’s, you name it - video games, pop culture, movies, shows, books. He is also amazed with Halliday’s work and life.

When five years from James Halliday’s death pass, people seem to have forgotten about the contest, and that’s when Parzival’s courage and knowledge will help him find the first key that unlocks the first of the three gates for the contest, putting him on the top of the scoreboard, and after five years, people start talking about Haliday’s ‘’egg’’ again.

Making friends along the way, and maybe finding the love of his life, Parzival faces millions of challenges, adventures, dangerous, funny and adorable moments. This is a book that will reveal a whole new world for you, and make you love Parzival while you follow his adventure into winning the contest. I am giving this book 4 out of 4 stars today, tomorrow and every other day on.

With time running out, danger surrounding from all sides, and suddenly finding the ‘’egg’’ becoming a life or death game, Parzival and his friends have no choice but to win this contest. But will they make it, with the IOI Corporation behind their backs, following them both in the real and in the virtual world, endangering their lives?
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

Seriously, how could you NOT love Wil Wheaton :)

Nice review - this is a favorite book of mine for lots of reasons, including all the 1980s references. Can't wait to see the movie later this month!
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

I wonder why the author chose to inundate their setting with 80s references, maybe nostalgia? Also concerning Earth being deserted and almost destroyed, I'd love to learn more about what lead up to that point and how the people in Oasis survive with or without their physical forms.
ScoutWrites
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scoutwrites.html
Latest Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Post by ScoutWrites »

I loved this book!
I've never listened to an audio book because I'm afraid I wouldn't focus, but a few of my friends listened to this one while I was reading the paperback, and I have to say knowing it was Wil Wheaton did make me want to check it out. Maybe I'll listen to it before I see the movie!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”