Review of From His Shadow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
thuriya albayaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thuriya-albayaa.html
Latest Review: From His Shadow by Garon Whited

Review of From His Shadow

Post by thuriya albayaa »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From His Shadow" by Garon Whited.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Phoebe's Tale: From His Shadow: Nightlord: Interludes by Garon Whited, Phoebe, the adoptive daughter of a universe-hoping, overly powered vampire, sets out to pursue a life of her own. Backed up by Uncle Dusty, a demigod, Jason, her human sidekick, and Rusty, a werewolf, Phoebe attempts to bring justice to the timelines of 2060 and 1950 by imprisoning a powerful priest named Alden. Will Phoebe be able to continue her superhero career without her pop's guidance? Who exactly is Alden, and just how powerful is he? Hop on to discover more regarding Phoebe, her deadly toy teddy bear, her vicious family dog, and many more surprising aspects.

The book's concept and non-conventional plotline were enticing, especially for a fantasy and science-fiction fan. The book incorporated conventional ideas, like the weaknesses of vampires, zombies, and werewolves, but provided enough twists to keep everything interesting. For instance, some types of vampires drastically differ from the generic vampire. A Nightlord, like Pops, was nothing like the mindless vampires we commonly encounter in fiction books. Also, no two characters, pets, or items were similar, which made envisioning what was to come or how something worked practically impossible, adding to the mystery and further pushing readers into continuing the book. As for characters and their development, I noticed all side characters matured to some degree after being advised, which suggests a decent portion of the book shows adequate character development. Fights were something to look forward to, as they incorporated all sorts of abilities and creativity, causing them to remain interesting throughout. The book also mentions the details of making magical items, which fans of intricate details will appreciate.

As the title suggests, the entire book is in a journal format, which was something I began to dislike towards the end of the book. It made it tedious to continue reading while knowing that nothing but Phoebe's commentary was present. The book included dialogue, but the majority of it consisted of thoughts that did not seem to differ no matter what occurred. Since the book is 766 pages long, it could have benefited from a change in the narrator. Even a simple third-person narration of the condition of other characters would have made the book more interesting without changing the narrator extensively. It is because Phoebe and the reader were unable to distinguish between fact and fiction, leaving the reader oblivious to everything even after finishing the book.

Also, more often than not, Phoebe was caught in a never-ending whirlpool of thoughts. She consistently asked questions and thought of endless possibilities, resulting in an underwhelming story when compared to what readers might expect after considering her assumptions. Moreover, even though other characters developed, Phoebe seemed to remain unchanged. For instance, although she was advised to stop the constant worrying, she remained the same throughout the book. She also felt inconsistent and outright ignorant towards the end of the book, which made the ending somewhat disappointing.

Considering everything, I rate this book two out of four stars. I deducted a star for the negatives and another for noticing more than ten errors. The book contains no sexual content. It does include violence and profanity. Fans of werewolves and vampires are sure to find it interesting. Anyone else would not find the book particularly inviting, but those who enjoy reading personal journals might enjoy delving into Phoebe's life. The book, and by extension the series, could benefit from a deduction in the number of pages and more focus on events rather than personal thoughts and unnecessary details concerning magical items. Otherwise, this is a relatively different fantasy book that caused me to feel enthusiastic about the rest of the series.

From His Shadow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 708
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I never thought that I would enjoy reading about these types of supernatural creature. However, recently I have begun reading novels about zombies and find them more interesting than I thought I would. I’d like to see how Phoebe resolves everything.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”