Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
potatoes franklin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-potatoes-franklin.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

Post by potatoes franklin »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Zona: The Forbidden Land is written by Fred G. Baker. This book's main plot involves a risky trek to the previously undiscovered Zona region. The majority of this book is about investigating. Dr. Grant Taylor, the main character, has to travel to Zona to look for his uncle. I enjoyed how the author's superb descriptions took me to far-off Siberia and made me feel like I was on the adventure. Uncle Randall enjoys traveling the world, but one day he never came home. Grant Taylor continued waiting for his uncle Randall Taylor to come home, but his hopes were in vain because Randall never did.

Future hard-core sci-fi enthusiasts would prefer the book's author, Fred G. Baker, to stick to one genre, but I didn't mind that this well-edited novel mixed so many different genres. I also had no issues with the transition from fantastical to suspense. The book goes into great detail regarding the qualities of courage, perseverance, and determination needed to complete a task. I appreciate that the book contributed to the identification of numerous rare species on this planet. Be warned that there is some familiarity of military doctrine and operating methods if you have just chosen the book. I don't have any complaints about this book.

I should also mention that this book taught me a few key competencies and medical practices, therefore I can't think of anything bad to say about it. It is clear that Fred G. Baker conducted the work necessary because the author of the book included specific, concrete explanations when they were called for to make the reading more immersive.

I gave this book four out of four stars since it was expertly edited, I enjoyed every aspect of it, and the layout was excellent. The language is fluid, and I'd like to let future readers of the book know that some of the characters expressed skepticism about the sophistication of the equipment selected for their journey. They did this after being horrified by accounts of the animals that crossed their path's viciousness.

There is nothing in this book that I don't like, and it was a lot of fun to read. I heartily suggest this book because I adored the author's writing style and thought he did a fantastic job of setting the mood for each chapter by narrating the protagonist's actual day. People who enjoy globe travel will enjoy this book. This book contains the first incidence of inappropriate profanity. Due to the extremely foul language used, children should not read this book.

Zona: The Forbidden Land
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”