Review of Embargo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Onyinyechi Orji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-orji.html
Latest Review: The Coma Compound by Craig Bailey

Review of Embargo

Post by Onyinyechi Orji »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Embargo" by Michael Tavis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Science-fiction author Michael Tavis' book Embargo provides an account of extraterrestrial life, Earth, and the strife that surrounds it. Pataxis, an alien, and John Sum Lang, a human, are at the center of the story, which dates back more than 5000 years.

Pataxis, a Gingco, joined a team of data collectors that went on expeditions to several worlds in search of treasure. They brought certain samples with them that they thought were worthless when they arrived on Earth. The C-foam mattress was found by Pataxis when some sperm samples were placed in a foaming machine, which produced a particularly cozy foam. Upon realizing how lucrative it would be, the Beltron cooperative unlawfully enforced a ban on Earth to eliminate any possible competition. Pataxis was sent to Earth to collect the precursor. The big question is how things will turn out later on Earth.

When prodigy John Sum Lang, age 13, discovered Pataxis, a friendship was born. He departed Earth to bring legal action against the Beltron cooperative for the planet's unjust isolation, and he was successful. Earth received a big payoff. Knowing that other species would be drawn to the large payoff, they built a defence army. The arrival of the Ragundal species on Earth and their proclamation that they intended to make the planet one of their slave worlds sparked the expected outbreak of war.

I congratulate the author for creating such a fantastic book. It was clear that extensive research had been done before this book was written. I appreciate the title of this book because it suggests what will happen in it by implying that Earth has been placed under an embargo. The idea that Earth and other planets shared characteristics like the use of banks, attorneys, and the presence of crime was another thing I enjoyed. The book also demonstrated that greed is not just a human feeling. The illustrations that may be accessed in various chapters were useful in helping me picture the characters. The author did a fantastic job.

A lot of things didn't sit well with me while I read this book. The first one is the fact that I expected the book to centre mostly on Pataxis since it began with his point-of-view, but this wasn't the case. Also, the narrative in some sections of the book moved back and forth between first-person and third-person points of view, thereby affecting my reading. I also had trouble during the fight scenes. I was most unsure of who was losing, whether it was the humans or the Ragandals carrying out the attack, and this affected my overall enjoyment of the book. I'd also love to point out how poor the editing was. It affected my flow while I was reading this book. I think minimizing the book pages would help this book. At some point, I became bored because of the overly descriptive nature of the book. Overall, I would say this is a good book that just needs some finishing touches to become outstanding.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars for the problems I already listed. The author had a way of keeping his audience glued to this book without leaving their seats. I'm in good faith recommending this book to people who enjoy books about extraterrestrial life and science fiction. Note that this book won't be an easy read for a layman because of the ambiguous terms it contains.

Embargo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Emmanuel Okotie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-okotie.html
Latest Review: When Life Doesn't Turn Out the Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 1 by Tom Wick

Post by Emmanuel Okotie »

After reading your review, I am tempted to pick up this book to read. However, I am not a fan of science fiction novels that talks about extraterrestrial life.
Your review is captivating and well detailed, I must confess.
Nice work.
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: The Three Card Trick by Charles Townsend

Post by Adaeze Joan »

This book seems like an interesting one but not the type I would enjoy reading. I love sci-fi books, but the ones that is easy to read and understand. Nice review.
Ronky279
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronky279.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Ronky279 »

Nice review. Although I'm not into reading science books but your review just interest me and I'd like to pick this one up to read. Good job.
George Baker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-george-baker.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by George Baker »

A really good review. Interested in reading this science fiction book and the themes it explores. I appreciate the summary.
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ruthwriter »

I must say I don't think this type of book will be fine for me. I did not enjoy it at all. but I believe it will be of great interest to others.
Bri Denzel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-denzel.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Bri Denzel »

I love to read about extraterrestrial life and the earth in general. This should be a great read, and I love forward to exploring its pages.
lilianchikasi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilianchikasi.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by lilianchikasi »

I'm a huge fan of science fiction books but I'm not really into one that focuses more on extraterrestrial life. I do find the cover of the book attractive as I feel it perfectly depicts what the book is about. I enjoyed reading your review.
Amy Luman
Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 708
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Science fiction is just about my favorite genre and I would like to know what the author thinks life will be like soon. In addition I enjoy hearing what extraterrestrials think.
NE_thewriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ne-thewriter.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by NE_thewriter »

You did a really good job with the summary. I would like to see how the war between the Earth and Ragundal will unfold. Thanks for this review
Okorji98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: Before Daylight by Christopher Knoll

Post by Okorji98 »

Science-fiction author Michael Tavis' book Embargo provides an account of extraterrestrial life, Earth, and the strife that surrounds it. Great review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”