Storm Front by Jim Butcher (The Dresden Files #1)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Meg0169
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg0169.html
Latest Review: "Night of the Chupacabra" by Michael Hebler

Re: Storm Front by Jim Butcher (The Dresden Files #1)

Post by Meg0169 »

gabry79 wrote:Here is what I didn't like about this book:
- All the women are described based on their sexual attractiveness and all women are apparently sexually attractive to the main character. I find this approach toward female characters stale, chauvinist and irritating. They are also useless and need to be saved by the main male character of course.
I just finished reading this novel and I completely agree with you on that front. I was extremely irritated that every reference to a woman had to do with her appearance and that somehow EVERY SINGLE WOMAN was attracted to him. Couldn't Butcher have put in at least one strong woman?

I also agree that Dresden kept saying how awesome he was but then he would do nothing. I understand he was being watched and had to be careful with what magic he used, but a lot of the book was just Dresden talking himself up for nothing.

I am going to continue on reading this series, but I am not completely impressed right out of the gate. A little more effort could have been put forth into character development. I felt myself confused from time to time because of Butchers wording. I would have to go back and re-read what I had read because he would write from Dresden's perspective, which at times was choppy and disconnected.

I am hoping that as the series continues that the characters grow and stronger female characters are added into the mix. Otherwise I do not care much to follow around a sexist wizard who things way too highly of himself.
Latest Review: "Night of the Chupacabra" by Michael Hebler
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

I agree that the first book could have been much better done and the women less one dimensional. It took me through second or third book to really get into this series but I am now a pretty big fan. I am still waiting for the release date to be published on the next installment, Peace Talks!
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Me too! :mrgreen:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Llama
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Llama »

I felt exactly the same as OP, which broke the heart of my friend who had given me the book, but you guys might have actually convinced me to give it another shot. I guess I'll just grit my teeth over all the misogyny...
bluestreak77
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluestreak77.html

Post by bluestreak77 »

I like the Dresden Files myself. I don't think Harry as chauvinist, just old school. He has a huge sense of morality. It's fun to watch him figure out the science of his magic in conjunction of what he trying to do. I haven't read the whole series, so I know there are several books that I have not read. I am currently rereading Storm Front, but I intend to read through the whole series again. Butcher did write some side stories the have other people's point of view of Dresden's antics, so it's interesting to see how they view him. I sometimes which the book was in third person, so we had a less bias viewing through Dresden's eyes. Nevertheless, at the same time, I feel that the author can do better banter with us seeing Dresden's thoughts. Butcher's writing style definitely is what keeps me coming back. I haven't read his other series yet, but I may if it has the same diction.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I am reading this one right now!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
SqueakyWilliams
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-squeakywilliams.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SqueakyWilliams »

bluestreak77 wrote:I don't think Harry as chauvinist, just old school. He has a huge sense of morality. It's fun to watch him figure out the science of his magic in conjunction of what he trying to do.
Completely agreed! My husband loves this series, I think he's gone through it several times now, always getting ready for the next book. He's not big on physical books, dyslexia has always been very challenging for him. But, he listens to audible during work, and it's interesting to note that the voice of the series is James Marsters, Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, sans the accent. I honestly think if it hadn't been for that fact, I wouldn't have given the series a listen and then a read. Storm Front tends to be a slow read for me, but worth it to get in the series. (For a taste if you're on the fence, I'd suggest starting with Side Jobs, that's what got me started.)
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

Storm Front and Fool Moon (Dresden Files #2) both have some issues. Remember Storm Front was his first published novel (or published anything) and it shows in sometimes simplistic story development. Still better than 80% of first novels. Keep reading the rest of the series because the writing became better and better and now, like most fans, I'm waiting on Peace Talks. In Storm Front, Butcher does do a lot of filling in the backstory which some might interpret as Dresden bragging. I think it's fairly well-handled. Murphy is definitely not a shrinking violet in need of constant saving. By the time you get several books into the series you've meet Ancient Mai, Gard, Murphy, Molly, Mab, Luccio, Charity, and others -- all powerful woman but with human vulnerablities. Harry Dresden has to learn about vulnerability, trust, and sacrifice. Butcher does a good job of telling the story of Harry's life while constructing a world of religions, power, magic, and the supernatural.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

gabry79 wrote: 22 Jan 2015, 09:21 Here is what I didn't like about this book:
- All the women are described based on their sexual attractiveness and all women are apparently sexually attractive to the main character. I find this approach toward female characters stale, chauvinist and irritating. They are also useless and need to be saved by the main male character of course.
- As many other books, a large part of plot goes forward because the main character decides he can't trust anyone or tell anyone what he knows. He really could at least try to confide in at least a couple of other characters and that might have helped him but I guess then the plot would be over and the writer wouldn't know how to move it forward. It is something that irks me even in more successful books like Harry Potter. Just. Tell. Someone. Problem solved.
- For at least three quarters of the book the main character keeps saying (it's a first person story) how awesome of a wizard he is, how powerful. He doesn't do any magic for most of the book and even when he does it doesn't seem that awesome to be honest. But he takes good care to tell us over and over again how powerful and highly regarded he is in the wizard world.

I picked this book because I liked the premise of a wizard doing detective work in Chicago, I think it was a wasted chance to do something really original. It could have been written less as a Bogart movie, it could have been, for once, a non-chauvinist fantasy book (but there aren't that many unfortunately).
I agree with all of the above. I did read all of the books (I had too much time on my hands or something), but all these problems ruined what could have been incredible books. The situation doesn't get better. Female characters do get strong, but they are still as perfect and unrealistic as in the first book. All of them. Every new female character that I can remember.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”