The Infernal Devices vs The Mortal Instruments

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mirby_
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mirby.html

The Infernal Devices vs The Mortal Instruments

Post by Mirby_ »

I have not meet someone who hasn't heard of Cassandra Clare. Cassandra Clare has wrote two main trilogy's and series. Hence the name. The trilogy of The Infernal Devices is not a personal favorite of mine. Now, I cant make a fair judgement of that considering I have only finished the first book (Clockwork Angel) and half way through the second (Clockwork Prince). I can not get into the books. I have no idea what it is. I love Cassandra Clare's writing. She makes amazing characters and has good story lines and worlds. It could be because I absolutely love The Mortal Instruments. I have read all the books and I could not put them down. I love them! 2nd favorite series (after Divergent) for sure! So my question to all the people who have read them both....
Q:Which one do you like better and why?
My Answer: The Mortal Instruments. And I still can't figure that out. I love the characters though.
Till next time,
Mirby_ :P
(Please Excuse that this is in the wrong forum. I just started this and wasn't sure what to put it in.)
okbutfirstbooks
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okbutfirstbooks.html

Post by okbutfirstbooks »

I've read The Infernal Devices and The Mortal Instruments, and I personally like The Infernal Devices better. I didn't like Clary that much she seemed to annoy me. In the last book she didn't annoy me that much considering that I feel like she matured throughout the book series. In The Infernal Devices I like the characters a lot more than The Mortal Instruments. Though I liked The Infernal Devices better both series got me hooked! I love Cassandra's Shadowhunter world she has built throughout her series! :)
ashleeboyer
Favorite Author: Jen L Armentrout
Favorite Book: Too many to choose from
Currently Reading: White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L Armentrout
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashleeboyer.html

Post by ashleeboyer »

Good question!
I have read both and without a doubt love The Mortal Instruments more than the Infernal Devices, but that's probably because I was more involved in the Mortal Instruments because of how long the series is. I read them book by book, waiting for the next installment to come out so I think I had more excitement for each and every book.....(CANNOT wait for her next series in which her first book in the series should be published this year in september I think?)

But, I also really love the Infernal Devices because it gives you a different view on how shadowhunters did their thing back in good ol' day! But, I would have to agree with you about not being so into the first book at first because it seemed kind of slow. Although, the next books get wayyyyy better so just hold on. I think I definitely appreciated them the second time around. The more you read it, the better it gets:)
Crimsonsky 749
Favorite Author: John Flanagan
Currently Reading: Artemis fowl
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crimsonsky-749.html
Latest Review: "Salvation's Dawn" by Joe Jackson
fav_author_id: 4299

Post by Crimsonsky 749 »

Hmm I think I like The Mortal Instrument series better. Partly because it is longer and partly because the books have a lot more factors in them than The Infernal Devices. It is also more modern which I like quite a bit since historical books tend to bore me a little. And the old fashion way of talking is a bit annoying. Besides Clary won my respect once she unlocked her blood line power. Her own power that was slumbering deep within her. Won't say anymore on that because it would be spoiling. But that's just something to excite you readers who haven't got to that part yet to read more often.
Sarcasm: The ability to insult idiots without them realising it.
Quote unknown.
Stop waiting for Prince Charming. Get out and find him. The poor idiot may be stuck in a tree or something.
Quote unknown.
Latest Review: "Salvation's Dawn" by Joe Jackson
Faerie104
Currently Reading: The Vampire's Bride
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faerie104.html

Post by Faerie104 »

I can't say that I could really pick one over the other. What I liked was being able to follow some of the connections between the characters in both series, I found I was seeing ancestors of the crew in Mortal Instruments as I read through Infernal Devices. Currently waiting on new material to continue to follow the characters and see what new ties and connections I can make.
TashaS
Favorite Author: Carly Phillips
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55738">The Proving</a>
Currently Reading: Guilty Pleasures
Bookshelf Size: 149
fav_author_id: 14270

Post by TashaS »

I have read all but "City of Heavenly Fire" and that's because while waiting for it to come out I read "The Infernal Devices". Comparing the two tit for tat is not what I'm about but I will say that I'll take Tess over Clary any day! Yes TMI is a very good series, but it's been how long and I'm not dying over the fact that I haven't finished it. My emotions were so wrapped up in TID I had a book hangover for a while. I didn't want to read about anyone else because Jem, Will, and Tess filled my heart.
I did enjoy that old world aspect about the book, and seeing strong female characters during that time period. And I also enjoyed how the author linked the two series together. At first that helped keep my interest, to see how the two were related. I also don't want to spoil things but when I made a realization in the last book of a direct connection to TMI, I was delighted. Kudos to Cassandra Claire for creating two sets of characters who are separate and combined, to fill my head and heart.
P.S. I will eventually read City of Heavenly fire and then her new series too!
GreenEyedGlory
Currently Reading: Lost in Prophecy (The Ascension Series #4)
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reading Device: B00VFHHA1Y

Post by GreenEyedGlory »

I really enjoyed both series and I love Cassandra as an author. I read TMI first then, while waiting for CoHF to come out I read TID. I fell in love with the Shadow World that they all live in. I would say for me it was better that I read TMI first then TID because as like someone else said I started seeing the connection between people in both series. Although I prefer TMI, to me the story line of TID and the characters I connected with more. My heart strings were pulled the whole way through TID. I hurt and felt for Jem more than anyone else in that series and when I realized who he became I had to go back and re-read TMI and I saw even more connections between the characters than I originally did. I would say to give TID a try since both series are intertwined in a way.
Jessica Elizabeth
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jessica Elizabeth »

I have read both except for TMIs "City of Heavenly fire". I felt more connected to the Infernal Devices then I did while reading the Mortal Instruments. Jessamine and Camille represented both sides of my personality well.
I enjoyed how TID was written - it sounded like it was written in the right time period but you don't have to always discover the cryptic meaning behind their words. (Except for Will, but that was part of his character)
ScrawledLetters
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawledletters.html

Post by ScrawledLetters »

The Infernal Devices series is one of my all time favorites! I read the series before starting TMI, and fell in love with almost every character! The relationship between, Tessa, Will and Jem is one that I thoroughly enjoyed, whether it was during a rather romantic or platonic time. The trilogy gave me a lot of good-hearted characters who still struggled with their demons.However, I still haven't finished TMI, mostly because I feel no attachment to the characters besides Simon, Luke and Isabelle. Since Clary and Jace don't provide a very believable relationship for me, I felt like it was too big of a priority in this series. Most of the other characters seemed like side notes, and the plot twist(s) unnecessary. If ihad to choose one of the other, hands down TID, without a doubt in my mind.
xxAmandaRosexx
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xxamandarosexx.html

Post by xxAmandaRosexx »

I have the same problem with not being able to get into The Infernal Devices. She has amazing literature techniques and her stories are captivating, but I've only been able to make it through half of Clockwork Angel. I feel like it misses the sort of innocence, naivety and suspense that Mortal Instruments had.
Sallari87
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Currently Reading: City of Fallen Angels
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sallari87.html
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by Sallari87 »

I love both of these series. I couldn't put down the Infernal Devices. Same with THe mortal instruments. Love that it is now a T.V show on FreeForm. Can't wait for Season 2. Definetly One of my favorite Authors. Definetly a repeater
Abby131
Currently Reading: City of Heavenly Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Abby131 »

Both The Infernal Devices and The Mortal Instruments are amazing! I do prefer The Infernal Devices though. I could not put them down! It broke my heart when I read the last book in the series. I didn't want it to end!
I read the Infernal Devices before I read The Mortal Instruments and I think that was a good choice. I enjoyed being able to think back to The Infernal Devices while I read The Mortal Instruments. I will definitely read all of them again!
viridien

Post by viridien »

I've read both, and honestly, the Mortal Instruments dragged on wayyyy too long. The Infernal Devices had a lot more romance, but it built up to a heartbraking conclusion in the last book. The Clockwork Princess was sobsfsdsfsfsfsfsgsfssfsfsf and I cried. So many times. I'll take TID over TMI anyday, thank you.

and i hate that tmi was made into a tv show, argggghh.
holymarshland
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holymarshland.html

Post by holymarshland »

I've read every Cassandra Clare book i can get my hands on and i know what you mean about the Infernal Devices! I felt like i raced through The Mortal Instruments series and got so hooked in those particular stories that The Infernal Devices almost didn't live up to them. I think my main problem with that TID though is that i have trouble adapting my mind to the idea of shadowhunters through history. I'm usually a huge fan of period dramas, especially when fantasy is involved, but this time i felt like Tessa's story wasn't embedded well-enough in the era. Maybe i needed more description? I did finish the series though and i love that Cassandra links all her narratives together through her series so i'm glad i could understand the references in her other books!
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

In all honesty, I haven't gotten around to reading The Infernal Devices. I have, however, read The Mortal Instruments series and I absolutely loved it. I definitely will read The Infernal Devices as soon as I possibly can. If it's anywhere near as good as TMI was then it will be such an incredible series.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”