The Infernal Devices vs The Mortal Instruments

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AHeartOfWords
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aheartofwords.html

Re: The Infernal Devices vs The Mortal Instruments

Post by AHeartOfWords »

Im a much bigger fan of the Infernal Devices than the Mortal Instruments. I think it partly due to the fact that TMI was strung out over so many books. TID seemed to have a better plot and kept the action going. I never felt stuck on a certain chapter like I did in TMI
moonlightlin

Post by moonlightlin »

I have read all 3 books of The Infernal Devices and I loved every single bit of them! However I am still to read The Mortal Instruments and it's been for a long time on my TBR's list.
Cassandra is amazing!
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

I liked The Mortal Instruments more.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
DarthMom25
Currently Reading: Deadly Design
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darthmom25.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
2024 Reading Goal: 364
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by DarthMom25 »

I absolutely adored both series, but I think I like TID a little better. I just really liked the three main characters.
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

Hands down I love the Infernal Instruments way more than the Mortal Instruments. I also got a little annoyed with Clary and I hated Sebastian/Jonathon. I love he relationship between Jace and Clary but I love the triangle between Tessa, James, and William. I could not put them down. The way they all loved each other just mafeel my heart burst! Jem and Wills parabati relationship just showed me how weak Alec's and Jace's actually was.

-- 02 Nov 2016, 21:23 --
viridien wrote:I've read both, and honestly, the Mortal Instruments dragged on wayyyy too long. The Infernal Devices had a lot more romance, but it built up to a heartbraking conclusion in the last book. The Clockwork Princess was sobsfsdsfsfsfsfsgsfssfsfsf and I cried. So many times. I'll take TID over TMI anyday, thank you.

and i hate that tmi was made into a tv show, argggghh.
I agree about the TV show! I thought they dragged on too long too! I feel like in Book 4 she was just trying to grasp out for something to keep the series going. I am, however, looking forward to reading Lady Midnight to get to know Emma a little more.
MegtheUnicorn

Post by MegtheUnicorn »

I did things backwards. The Infernal Devices box set was given to me as a gift. I burned through them. I enjoyed the "old style" and the "manners" that were displayed. I found the Mortal Instruments to be a more shallow and predictable series.
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

MegtheUnicorn wrote:I did things backwards. The Infernal Devices box set was given to me as a gift. I burned through them. I enjoyed the "old style" and the "manners" that were displayed. I found the Mortal Instruments to be a more shallow and predictable series.
Yes! I love the 1800s and the manners they used towards Tessa. I feel like Clary is portrayed as a stronger character but only because she had to do things for herself. it's all the timeframe in which the book was set because was a very strong female.
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

I think I love the Infernal Devices just a tiny bit more than The Mortal Instruments but it's pretty close considering I have read both series far too many times.

I think this is because I adore the setting and era of The Infernal Devices, which is incredibly Victorian and that opens the wonderful world of Steampunk! So it gives me Victorian, Steampunk, Shadowhunters and early Clave/enclave dramas which beautifully set up The Mortal Instruments series and gives you a deeper understanding. But this is my personal opinion due to not yet disliking anything Cassandra Clare writes. I have finished Lady Midnight (the new shadowhunter series which I yet again love!) and reading the Shadowhunter Academy books (Love Simon)

-- 06 Jan 2017, 13:09 --
Mannie913 wrote:
I agree about the TV show! I thought they dragged on too long too! I feel like in Book 4 she was just trying to grasp out for something to keep the series going. I am, however, looking forward to reading Lady Midnight to get to know Emma a little more.
Lady Midnight is Fan-fluffing-tastic! :)
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
Annaruthus
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annaruthus.html

Post by Annaruthus »

I read The Infernal Devices first, and completely loved the series! I think that Tessa wan a very strong character, especially for her time! The love triangle was tragic, and well drawn out over the three novels, although the way it ends.... still not sure how I feel about it. It would not stop me from reading the novels again. I thought that Clare did a great job with the plot development, and getting readers to invest in Tessa as the protagonist. I felt Tessa's ups and her downs very keenly.
I have The Mortal Instruments on my list to read this year, however I began reading the first in the series a couple years ago, and I was not impressed with Clary as a character. I had grown accustomed to Tessa doing everything she could, even with the constraints of society and her timeframe. Clary, as a modern female lead, came off as kind of whiney to me. I think I tried reading The Mortal Instruments too soon after reading The Infernal Devices, so that is why I am going to try again this year!
nabila nawar93
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by nabila nawar93 »

I love the Infernal Devices so much....I could barely read the first two books of TMI...but I want to finish it because I really want to read the Dark artifices!
Toshia
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 912">First Grave on the Right</a>
Bookshelf Size: 513
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toshia.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly

Post by Toshia »

I have not read the Infernal Devices. The Mortal Instruments is one of my favorite sagas of all time. I became absolutely attached to the characters. I am afraid to read the Infernal devices.. Hard for me to imagine the same world, but no Clary, Jace, Simon, Izzy, Magnus and Alec.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly
The reader101

Post by The reader101 »

I’ve read all nearly all her books, including the mortal instruments, the infernal devices and even the dark artifices. I think they all have amazing plot lines and characters but I would say that my favourite will always be with the infernal devices; no one understands my love for that trilogy! In TMI, I find clary and jace a bit annoying most times because they made things too much about themselves and clary was whiney . I feel that it was harder to get into the books because they felt a bit dragged out. It takes a while for things to actually happen and I feel like everything that happens in TID makes more sense and meaning to me.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I haven't read either but I would love to read both. I like to see the original storylines and supernatural types of characters authors come up with. Love discovering new, secret/ hidden worlds.
AlicinWelsh
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicinwelsh.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by AlicinWelsh »

I have read both and honestly I think they both are lacking. Maybe it was that they were too childlike and wrapped up in details that the reader doesn't really care about or they were too kid/romancy. Just not for me but I stuck them out until the end.
Allie_L
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Allie_L »

I definitely prefer The Infernal Devices more. I had liked the Mortal Instruments a lot at the start but as the series went on it just got too full of what I felt was excess drama and nonsense. The Infernal Devices I felt was a little more grown up and the plot wasn't as crowded. Also, I adore the both Will and Jem and actually by the end of series found reasons to adore most of the characters in the series.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”