The Infernal Devices vs The Mortal Instruments

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cswrawr
Currently Reading: El Conde Karlstein
Bookshelf Size: 1011
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cswrawr.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler

Re: The Infernal Devices vs The Mortal Instruments

Post by Cswrawr »

I read both and I definitely enjoyed The Infernal Devices more. For the vast majority of The Mortal Instruments Clary was just so naive and so dense. The foreshadowing is really heavy handed so, as a reader, I could see where the story line was going and meanwhile Clary was all tra la la completely oblivious. That got old. I didn't feel that way about Tessa at all.
Leena01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Leena01 »

I read them both too . And so do I , I enjoyed reading 'The Infernal devices' more than 'The Mortal instruments'. I liked the way how Cassandra Clare had described Tessa's feeling's and her personality rather than Carly's .And how the story was unexpected and breath taking which made it more special to me . However , Cassandra Clare is an amazing author , and she never made me feel bored whenever I read her books .
Maximum Angel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Maximum Angel »

For myself, it is hard to choose because of how the two series blend together to make more sense of the entire story. Both series are exhilarating especially towards the end. I would choose both.
S Mishra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-mishra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by S Mishra »

I loved the infernal devices much better. Tessa, Jem and Will were all amazing characters to read about. The first time I read mortal instruments, I couldn't really get myself to care much about any of the characters much.

Though, after reading infernal devices when I reread Mortal Instruments it seemed much more enjoyable, perhaps because of all the ancestry and history mentioned in the TID.

I love how Cassandra Clare connected both of the series together though and how she continues to do so with her new series.
"If anyone needs me, I’ll be reading.... Please don’t need me."
J3nni315
Currently Reading: Music to My Ears (Pre-Release Beta Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j3nni315.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by J3nni315 »

I have read almost every Cassandra Clare book available (except Queen of Air and Darkness, but if I had to say my absolute favorite would be TID because of one thing. The characters in TID, in my opinion, were captivating, real, and unique. So if we are going on characters alone, it would come down to Will vs. Jace, in my opinion. Will Herondale will forever have a place in my heart. I still don't think I have read a better male lead than Will (Rhysand from Sarah J. Maas's A Court of Thorns and Roses series might give him a run for his money).

Overall, it comes down to the characters for me because the story in all of her books is the same (it's a great story).

All of her books are amazing so keep fighting through and you will fall in love with the characters for sure!
the_ashfeathers
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-ashfeathers.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by the_ashfeathers »

I've read both the series and I love Cassandra so much, her work is truly magical. Though The Mortal Instruments were the building blocks of the shadowhunter world, the infernal devices had a unique power to them. I love TID way more than TMI, as it is very evident how much Cassandra has grown as a writer. TID flows beautifully with a heartbreaking plot, it tugged at my heartstrings so hard which TMI couldn't. The Victorian England was exquisitely structured and she honestly did justice to the era. I JUST LOVE THE INFERNAL DEVICES SO MUCH. I'd trade my soul for it, in a heartbeat.
"Bloodthirsty little beasts. Never trust a duck." ~ Will Herondale (Cassandra Clare)
djoh_
Currently Reading: Broken Inn
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djoh.html
Latest Review: The Little Book For Big Transformations (2nd Edition) by Skip Jennings

Post by djoh_ »

I know I am late to the party, but I started the Mortal Instruments series and loved it, and I read online that some people suggest reading all the books (including Infernal Devices) in publication order. I read the first 3 of MI, and then the first from ID, and then the 4th book of MI, and I haven't finished yet, but next will be the second book of ID. So far I am enjoying all of the books, and kind of viewing it as one grand story. I would probably choose MI as my favorite so far, because I have come to know and love the characters. But, that could change after I finish all of the books! I know a lot of people really love the Infernal Devices series!
Mduduzi Nombila
Favorite Book: The Faerie Guardian (Creepy Hollow Book 1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Mduduzi Nombila »

I read the mortal instruments and i enjoyed it very much but the infernal devices are different and i never finished them

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”