Review of A Husband Out Of This World: Failed Experiment (1)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SarahAlligator20
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahalligator20.html
Latest Review: A Husband Out Of This World: Failed Experiment (1) by Deovandski Skibinski Junior

Review of A Husband Out Of This World: Failed Experiment (1)

Post by SarahAlligator20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Husband Out Of This World: Failed Experiment (1)" by Deovandski Skibinski Junior.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Husband Out of This World—Volume 1: Failed Experiment is an isekai fantasy novel written by Deovandski Skibinski Junior with illustrations by Mitsukiven. It begins with Gabiro, the courtroom scientist of the Sanbi kingdom, performing a spell on a corpse brought to him by his apprentice, Kibe. Chaos ensues, the result of which does not go according to Gabiro’s plans. In another world, a man gorges himself on food while watching TV. He is suddenly thrust into the Sanbi world, having very little recollection of his identity or how he even got there. Given the name Harry, he is introduced to the royal inhabitants of this kingdom and roped into duelling a princess for her hand in marriage. Harry already has enough to contend with, but it seems a deeper plot than initially visible awaits him.

This novel reads somewhere between childish fantasies and explicitly adult themes. It’s everything you’d expect from a cheesy harem-like story, complete with overly attractive female characters and what appears to be an underdog protagonist. I’m giving the entire story the benefit of the doubt, as I’m a fan of the isekai subgenre and largely enjoy transmigration stories, especially those that go the memory loss route. As for the illustrations, they happened every few pages, managing to give a face to specific characters and brighten up the plot, the style of drawing well suited to the genre and narrative.

The worldbuilding is slow, as, along with Harry, readers are left out of the loop as to the direction of the story and the true motives of the other characters. There is sufficient room for growth, considering more instalments are in the works. The action aspect isn’t too noteworthy—there being only one relevant scene—though the type of science/magic utilized shows a lot of promise and was entertaining to read about. I found the ending of the book to be quite decent, leaving me intrigued about where a certain princess might be heading. A mystery element was also added because of numerous factors, namely the night before a deciding event in Harry’s life.

There were quite a few errors present in this story that led me to believe that this novel has not been professionally edited. A notable feature of Skibinski’s writing includes placing commas between dependent clauses, making related thoughts seem separate, which caused me to have to reread small segments at times. By themselves, these are not exactly problematic, but they negatively impact the reading experience when taken as a whole.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. This rating can be attributed to the editing quality of the book, as well as the confusing nature of the story and the puerile tone of the narrative. In the afterword, Skibinski makes his intentions known to have a long-running series for the progression of this story, so readers who fancy slow-burns will be sure to find this book suitable. Large doses of profanity and highly erotic elements call for a mature audience.

A Husband Out Of This World: Failed Experiment (1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Micah_1 »

Nice review but I'll pass. I'm not attracted to read the book but I must commend your review, it is exquisite.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 640
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Shadow: The Moonracer Chronicles by T. August Green
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

It does not seem as if this story is very well connected. The author seems to have just collected his/her thoughts and written them down randomly as they came. Possibly the illustrations save this book.
Hari Shan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hari Shan »

This story doesn't seem very connected. The author seems to gather his thoughts and write down roughly as they come.
Shelby Ayres
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: Our Lady of the Artilects by Andrew Gillsmith
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by Shelby Ayres »

I think the concept of the book is unique and interesting, but the execution of the book was lacking from what was stated in your review. Illustrations in the book are very interesting. Great review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”