Review of Praesidium

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review of Praesidium

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Praesidium" by McKinley Aspen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Praesidium by McKinley Aspen is Book One in the Shadows in the Wind series. On Kathryn's fifth birthday, her father disappears while talking to his sister, Jacquelyn, on the sidewalk. Years later, at the end of her last year at Yale University, Kathryn goes to a career fair and meets Raphael Landy, who offers her a job on a four-member team that works on special projects for Hope & Global Support (HGS). She is offered a $125,000 annual salary, housing, and full medical, dental, and retirement benefits. Kathryn does not know how this job will affect her long-distance relationship with Scott, a law student at the University of Chicago. However, knowing she will not receive a better offer for a first-time position, she accepts the job. Ashley, Greg, and Michael are her new teammates at HGS. What is HGS? What type of projects will they work on? How will this job impact Kathryn and Scott's relationship?

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thought-provoking book. I will now look at coincidences differently and question what is behind them. McKinley Aspen made me feel like one of the characters with descriptions like "racing downhill like a lion chasing its dinner." I could feel the speed the characters were going while racing downhill. I also appreciated the demographic description of the desert's natural beauty as "stunning red buttes rising from the dusty ground in the desert." Readers can learn the importance of teamwork by reading this book. For Kathryn, Ashley, Greg, and Michael, good teamwork was the difference between life and death and success and failure. The romantic and paranormal aspects of the plot flowed smoothly throughout the narrative.

I did not encounter any negative aspects in this book. It is a well-written and fast-paced book that kept me intrigued throughout it. The ending made me anxious to read the next book in the series to see what this four-member team will encounter next. The sequel is sure to be as adventurous and exciting as this book.

This book has been edited by a professional editor and deserves nothing less than 4 out of 4 stars. There is nothing about this book that would justify a lower score. This book is almost flawless, with only a handful of minor errors that did not distract from my reading enjoyment.

Readers who enjoy romance, crime thrillers, and science-fiction books are the ones I would recommend this book to. There is a religious aspect to this book, so if you find that type of content offensive, you may want to avoid this book.

praesidium
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel with some mysteries and potential twists. What's happened to Kathryn's father? What's behind HGS? I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Dauria04
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

This seems like an interesting read with well-written descriptions. Thank you for your review.
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

This sounds like the type of book I would enjoy. Kathryn sounds fascinating. Thank you for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

The sample pages captured my attention--the author is truly a descriptive writer. I wonder if Kathryn will see her dad again? Thank you for your thorough review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
PMinstrel
Currently Reading: Sleeping Murder
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by PMinstrel »

I found the sample intriguing enough that I was disappointed when I got to the end of it. I bought the kindle edition at the discounted price and I'm looking forward to finding time to read it through.
Pitri Indah Sari
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pitri-indah-sari.html
Latest Review: The Vine by Adria L. Dunn

Post by Pitri Indah Sari »

Romance, crime thriller, and science-fiction is a good combination in a book. And the religion won't bother me. So I would love to read this book. Thank you for the review.
Ochieng Omuodo
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

The crime and sci-fi combo aside, although thrilling, the aspect of the book that seems most interesting is how reality-based Kathryn's work-life balance dilemma is.
One piece
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-one-piece.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by One piece »

By skillfully blending the appreciation of nature's grandeur with the exploration of teamwork, this book offers a compelling and enriching reading experience. Great review 👍
Mayang Bature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 296
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Living Intentionally by Viterose Van huis

Post by Mayang Bature »

This novel gives the impression of being full of intrigue and adventure. With the aid of her friends and knowledge of what happened to her father all those years ago, I'm confident that Kathryn will uncover something about the mystery of HGS.
As long as there is a concept of victors, the vanquished will always exist.

~Uchiha M.
Moisés Alcántara Ayre
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mois-s-alc-ntara-ayre.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Moisés Alcántara Ayre »

Although I've only read the review in this forum and the intro chapter of the book, I feel like this is the kind of book that I couldn't put down. The fast pace coupled with a super engaging narration of the events make this a must-read if you're into fiction.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I love romance and crime thrillers. I'm not much into sci-fi, but you made such a compelling introduction that now I NEED to know what HGS is about.
Great review!
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

It seems like a very interesting book, full of magic and mystery. According to the review, it promises to be an amazing read and one that keeps you attentive. I really liked this review, thanks.
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

What an awesome review! Thank you!

A combination of genres make up today's exciting and fast-paced BOTD! Filled with descriptive scenes and detailed events, readers of scifi, romance, and thrillers are really in for a treat with this adventurous read. Thank you again for the helpful review and keep up the awesome work! :-)
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Captive
Bookshelf Size: 607
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 27%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

After reading the sample, I realized that this story isn't exactly my cup of tea. But the first chapter is nicely presented with a little mystery and magic to whet the reader's whistle. I believe there will be many that will enjoy the story and the series of books to follow. Congrats to the author on BOTD.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”