Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Teresa Neace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teresa-neace.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by Teresa Neace »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first book of the We are Voulhire series. It is a book of magic, adventure, and intrigue. The book takes place in a time period where there are mages, kings, and lords. It makes me think of the times of King Aurthur. There are multiple characters that the reader must keep up with, some of which have a larger part in the book than others. If the reader is having trouble with any of the words or phrases used, there is a glossary at the end of the book that can be used as a reference guide. Also, there is a map of the lands for the reader to get an idea of the different regions that are mentioned in the book.

What I enjoyed most about the book was how different each and every one of the main characters are. My personal favorite is Galen, a young man who grew up with basically nothing and yet is not jaded by the world. You find out very early on that Galen's uncle has passed away and left everything he owned to Galen. It is a very rag to riches story in which Galen remains humble and caring for others when he does not need to be. Another one of my favorite characters is Judge Eldus who is appointed the new Lord of Hillport after the previous two lords did horrible things and did nothing to help the town. Lord Eldus really cares about building up not just the town itself but also helping the townspeople heal.

There are not a lot of details about the actual crimes of the villain of the book, Lord Meldorath, which I am not a fan of. There are hints as to what the Lord actually did in the past but nothing concrete. I want to know what Lord Meldorath did that was so heinous and hope that one of the later books goes into more detail on him. Also, there were many characters brought in towards the end of the book that I would have liked more of an explanation of who they are. I also would have liked for the ending to leave off with a bigger cliffhanger than what it did.

I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars because there were very few editing errors which makes for smooth reading. Also, I liked the additional features of the book such as the glossary and the map.

I would recommend this book to a reader who enjoys fantasy, magic, and a bit of war. If you enjoy King Aurthur and Merlin, then I feel like this book would be right up your alley. I do look foward to the next book and cannot wait to read it.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”