Review of A Witch Is Born

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 225
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: A Witch Is Born by Phillip Martin

Review of A Witch Is Born

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Witch Is Born" by Phillip Martin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cassandra and her sister Kessi were left at an orphanage as babies. When they were about four years old, their surrogate mother took them for a walk in the woods, where a couple of wolves attacked them. Cassandra called forth ravens for protection, and one of the wolves was killed. Although no one was told how they escaped, people sensed she was the reason. Consequently, she was mocked and ostracized as a child. The cruel administrator of the orphanage was determined to see her killed for being a witch.

Greyson was also an orphan, but he was raised by priests in another part of the world. They worshipped the god Plath, who gave them defensive magic and healing powers. The priests recognized Greyson could be a formidable force. Therefore, they recommended he undergo Plath’s trials when he was only twelve years old. This could lead to his death if he doesn’t possess enough faith.

Matilda is a priestess who worships the demon Marnelphion. She has been given unusual powers and is working on a plan to help bring him back from the underworld. To accomplish this goal, she requires the help of the vampire Heinsvick, who was a warlock in his previous life. In addition, Matilda commands a massive army of sadistic soldiers, who love to torture and enslave or slaughter the inhabitants of the towns they invade. They are commencing their campaign to capture all of the surrounding lands.

A Witch Is Born: The Adventures of Cassandra Rho by Phillip Martin is an excellent fantasy novel about good versus evil. The author showcases his wonderful imagination in the creation of this fictional story. In addition to ordinary people, witches, elves, werewolves, vampires, demons, and gods are incorporated into the tale. He has also constructed several imaginary cities with their own respective leaders. His descriptive narrative transports the reader into his book, where it feels as if the cities and characters are real. Although this book sets the stage for sequels, it still contains plenty of suspense and action to keep one thoroughly intrigued. Several threads are written into this story. Although we can’t see all of the connections yet, we begin to perceive how they might merge later.

Quite a few characters are discovered in the story, but the author has taken the time to thoroughly develop them. Cassandra, a loner because of her treatment as a child, can be quite rude and is not liked by many people. However, she is protective, fundamentally good, and just wants to be left alone to study her magic and try to uncover her family’s background. Kessi, a healer, possesses a different personality and is loved by most of the people she meets. Greyson is faithful, charming, a little arrogant, and seems to be consumed with thoughts about sex, but his religion condones this. Matilda is truly evil and loves no one but herself, Marnelphion, sex, and power. Heinsvick, a warlock and a vampire, is also despicable, but at least he loves his harem and worries about their welfare. These are merely some of the various fascinating characters that the reader will meet in this intriguing story.

I discovered nothing to dislike in the book. Therefore, because of the aforementioned reasons, I am delighted to give A Witch Is Born: The Adventures of Cassandra Rho four out of four stars. It is enthusiastically recommended to readers who enjoy suspenseful fantasy novels. Sensitive readers need to realize a lot of violence, some sexual scenes, and a few profanities are encountered in the novel. This story doesn’t end on a cliffhanger; however, being the first book in the series, very few of the issues are resolved. If readers desire all of the answers by the end of the tale, they might want to look elsewhere. Personally, I look forward to the next installment in the story.

A Witch Is Born
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jelly_J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jelly-j.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick
2022 Reading Goal: 75
2022 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by Jelly_J »

Cassandra being ostracized for being different is wrong; it might lead her to being wicked. Other plot themes also interest me here; tales of magic, elves, witches and the like. I look forward to reading this. Amazing review.
Francis_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-reads.html
Latest Review: Speed Reading: A Little-Known Time-Saving Superpower by Abby Marks Beale
2022 Reading Goal: 72
2022 Goal Completion: 12%

Post by Francis_Reads »

In a fantasy book, the imaginative creation of the world is key to its enjoyment. And the author did a great job creating a realistic world where the plot took place. The summary is also captivating.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Jelly_J wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 12:42 Cassandra being ostracized for being different is wrong; it might lead her to being wicked. Other plot themes also interest me here; tales of magic, elves, witches and the like. I look forward to reading this. Amazing review.
I'm sure you will enjoy the book. Thanks for dropping by!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Francis_Reads wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 18:26 In a fantasy book, the imaginative creation of the world is key to its enjoyment. And the author did a great job creating a realistic world where the plot took place. The summary is also captivating.
Indeed, I was impressed by the world that he created. I hope that you get a chance to read his novel!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like an amazing fantasy novel for all ages! I believe the world-building is great and unique and characters are very lovable :) I would love to give this one a try, thank you very much for this insightful review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Ellylion wrote: 01 Aug 2022, 12:16 Sounds like an amazing fantasy novel for all ages! I believe the world-building is great and unique and characters are very lovable :) I would love to give this one a try, thank you very much for this insightful review!
The picture can make one believe it is a children's book, but it definitely isn't. There's too much violence in the story for one thing. I hope you get to read it. Thanks for the comments!
ExcellenceAwuzie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by ExcellenceAwuzie »

From your review, this book is unquestionably engaging, intriguing, and adventurous.
I love the plot themes and how they were all efficiently used in the book.
I hope Cassandra gets to be a great force.
Mrs D O
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrs-d-o.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Mrs D O »

His descriptive narrative transports the reader into his book, where it feels as if the cities and characters are real.
It seems as if the reader can enter the imaginary world. I really enjoyed reading your impressive review Prisallen. The insight into the characters and the way you set the scene were very intriguing.Thank you.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

ExcellenceAwuzie wrote: 02 Aug 2022, 09:31 From your review, this book is unquestionably engaging, intriguing, and adventurous.
I love the plot themes and how they were all efficiently used in the book.
I hope Cassandra gets to be a great force.
It is all of those things that you mentioned. I hope you get to read it--I think you would enjoy it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Mrs D O wrote: 02 Aug 2022, 15:00
His descriptive narrative transports the reader into his book, where it feels as if the cities and characters are real.
It seems as if the reader can enter the imaginary world. I really enjoyed reading your impressive review Prisallen. The insight into the characters and the way you set the scene were very intriguing.Thank you.
Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate you reading my review!
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Micah_1 »

The cover almost got me thinking if this is a children's book, but judging by the review, I guess not. I guess is normal for people to isolate those whom they realize have some kind of powers or magic, so I understand where the ostracizing of the character of Cassandra comes from. An amazing review.
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Lion of Camelot by Robert Murray
fav_author_id: 2484
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Saint Bruno »

Should Cassandra have left the wolves to devour her and her sister? Maybe then people would be happy. I love the book's plot, and I am sure I'd enjoy it as well. A lot seems to be going on, which is the kind of story I love, as long as it is all tied together in the end. Thank you for your insightful review and recommendation.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Saint Bruno wrote: 05 Aug 2022, 23:19 Should Cassandra have left the wolves to devour her and her sister? Maybe then people would be happy. I love the book's plot, and I am sure I'd enjoy it as well. A lot seems to be going on, which is the kind of story I love, as long as it is all tied together in the end. Thank you for your insightful review and recommendation.
Since this is only the first book in the series, I'm sure that it will all be tied together later on. Some of the pieces are already coming together. I hope you get a chance to read it. Thanks for your comments!
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

The cover page of this book looks scary, but your review is saying otherwise, I must read this book to get what the author is saying.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”