Review of Gothic Knights

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ThankGod Onyishi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankgod-onyishi.html
Latest Review: The Blood of My Mother by Roccie Hill

Review of Gothic Knights

Post by ThankGod Onyishi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gothic Knights" by Leon Lowe.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gothic Knights: Book 1 by Leon Lowe is a fantastic short story of a group of knights, the gothic knights, and the battles they fight. This book is written in three short volumes. The sear, a powerful witch and protector of the Earth's nexus, informs the grand paladin of the evil from another realm that she had trapped already in her staff. With this information, they begin to prepare for the fight coming. Two powerful knights are summoned, and they start the journey of discovering the evil sage and defeating her.

Soon after the appearance of the evil sage, a gothic knight turned evil monster from decades ago escapes from his entrapment and seeks to destroy the gothic knights. An evil, tyrannical baron also escapes from imprisonment in the fairy kingdom, travels nexuses, and arrives on Earth to conquer it. With help from a spiritual guardian angel, this group of heroes undertakes harrowing journeys and battles deadly forces, trying rigorously to save the Earth from damnation.

I found a lot of negative aspects in this book, which made it a very uncomfortable one to read. First, the book was very poorly edited, if at all, and there were countless errors in it. It made reading it a hassle since, from the very first page, I had to deal with mistakes and more errors. Again, the characters in the book were very poorly developed. There was little to no personal story of each character. Also, the names Trudy and Midnight were used in a way that created confusion. I was never sure if they were the same person. Finally, there were sentences or whole paragraphs that were hard to decipher throughout the book. For instance, I found this sentence on the first page confusing when the author said, “outside of this house is a passage that leads to mirrors which have bridges outreached from their landscape at the beginning and ends of the spiraling bridges that build a multi-story inter dimensional labyrinth of bridges.” After reading this sentence a few times, I still do not grasp its meaning.

I enjoy reading fantasies, so I enjoyed reading this book when errors and confusion did not bog me down. The author was quite descriptive in this book, and I could quite easily envision the different scenes created in the book. I must commend the author for the creative aspect of this book too.

I give this book a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. I gave it a low rating because of its negative aspects. However, though its negative aspects made the book pesky, I did enjoy the overall story of the book. There is a lot of work to be done, and I couldn't get myself to add another star to my rating.

I recommend this book to anyone that loves fantasies. I also recommend this book to those that enjoy books with elements of history in it.

Gothic Knights
View: on Bookshelves
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

Thank you for your honest review. I like fantasies and this book seems to have a good storyline. Too bad there are so many negative aspects.
Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-obioma-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Choices by Ogonna Juliet Nnamani

Post by Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji »

You seem to have found a lot of negative aspects of the book. There are a lot of errors and for someone like me who gets easily disturbed by errors in sentences when reading, I don't think I would enjoy this. Thank you for the review.
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Post by Lucy Vera »

This book has aspects which can turned a reader off. However, as a lover of fantasy, the storyline seems intriguing and I would love to give it a try. Beautiful review you have here.
Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-amarachi-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Operation November Blizzard by Stephen Snow (penname)

Post by Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji »

I love short stories and I don't think this would be an exception. I don't like the fact that it contains a lot of errors. But this won't discourage me from reading the book. Thank you for this review.
Tony Official
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tony-official.html
Latest Review: America’s Loveless Age: Trumpism, FemPower, the End of Patriarchy by Noel Terry

Post by Tony Official »

I don't like books that are poorly edited. This is because the errors get in the way when I read the book. The fact that this book is a lot of negative aspects has already discouraged me from reading.
Darlings O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Post by Darlings O »

I love the fact that this is a short interesting story. I love books like this. I also love your analysis of the book. The way you stated your positive aspect was beautiful. Thank you for your review.
Vivian Stones
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-stones.html
Latest Review: The Silicon Divide by Danielle Nowell

Post by Vivian Stones »

I don't like books that have underdeveloped characters. I love the way you analyzed this book, by the way. You stated out its positive and negative points.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel with good potential let down by the lack of proper editing. If this is Book 1 of a series, a good introduction is even more important, so the author should go back to editing. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”