Review of Sebastian and the Invisible Island

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nwankwo GC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-gc.html
Latest Review: The Chosen by Brandy Marks

Review of Sebastian and the Invisible Island

Post by Nwankwo GC »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sebastian and the Invisible Island" by Michael William Hogan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sebastian and the Invisible Island by Michael William Hogan is about eleven-year-old Sebastian Youngfield who, while at sea with his parents Cameron and Anne Youngfield in their sailboat 'Miss American Pie', got caught in a storm that sends him to an invisible island. This happened when he went fishing on an inflatable dinghy. Shapeshifting extraterrestrials, strange creatures, a prehistoric ichthyosaur, a Polynesian warrior, and a female aviator all happened to be on this island cloaked by one of the feuding extraterrestrials. Sebastian has to find a way to survive and be rescued from that invisible island. How can he do that when he is just a kid far away from his parents? Read this intriguing book to discover that.

I love the makeup of this book. Readers will find it intriguing that every part of the book was instrumental to the creation of the brilliant piece. In essence, there were no unnecessary parts to it. The method of description used by the author was a chef's kiss. Without an iota of doubt, readers will find this book engaging and very interactive. The choice of words in this book is also brilliant; readers of a diverse age range would be able to follow the story and not find it too complex. It was also suspenseful and not easily predictable, and I found that to be very good as it would keep you wanting to know more of what is to come. The author's use of imagery here is also applaudable; it stirred my imagination.

I did not quite appreciate the size of the chapters; they were too short, making them look unnecessarily bulky when they could have been compressed into a few comprehensive chapters. That can make some readers erroneously view some parts of the book as unnecessary. Merging some of the chapters would have made them a lot more substantial. Some chapters were a little more or less than a page; chapter thirteen is a good example.

I give Sebastian and the Invisible Island by Michael William Hogan a good rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It has a beautiful plot with excellent words and imagery, so it deserves the full stars. I would have deducted a star owing to the brevity of the chapters, but that didn't take away much from the overall beauty of this book, so I will let that slide.

I recommend Sebastian and the Invisible Island by Michael William Hogan to lovers of adventure and suspense. This book contains loads of those, which will spike their interest, as it did mine. Fans of science fiction and fantasy novels will have a great time with this one.

Moderator's note: the chapters are shorter to cater to a younger audience of readers.

Sebastian and the Invisible Island
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
LORDSHIP ALEX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lordship-alex.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by LORDSHIP ALEX »

Being trapped on an island, let alone an invisible island, sounds terrifying. I'd like to read more of the book to find out how and who saves this poor child.
Itz Savaga
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Post by Itz Savaga »

Sebastian will need some sort of divine intervention to survive the animals on that island. How did he get stuck? How come he strayed away so much from his parent's watch? This will be an intriguing read. I'll check it out.
nwankwo chibuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-chibuchi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by nwankwo chibuchi »

I feel for Sabastain and I hope he can out of all these safe because it will really hit his parents if things go left. I love this review.
Alexander C Schmoock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

How could Sabastian have wandered off without his parents noticing? Was he found and saved? These are questions running through my mind. I'd love to get the answers from this book.
Lawrence+2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawrence-2.html
Latest Review: The Ranting of an Uneducated Reactionary by Oscar J. Phillips

Post by Lawrence+2 »

Not a fan of fiction novels but the book it worth reading. Nice review.
Madu Abigail
Currently Reading: The Unseelie Crown
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madu-abigail.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Madu Abigail »

From my experience, I can tell that this book is going to be very interesting. I would definitely get this book in my shelf. Thanks for this wonderful review.
Fearnia Laurel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fearnia-laurel.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Fearnia Laurel »

As a lover of adventure and fantasy, this book sounds fantastic. I wonder how will Sebastian act when he encounters those strange creatures and characters. I will be adding this to my shelf. Thank you for the review.
Shelby Ayres
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

What an interesting synopsis for a book. An eleven-year-old figuring out how to deal without his parents on an island. I am curious as to how he fairs on the island. Great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm glad this novel can be enjoyed by adults as well, as I'm curious about Sebastian's fate in a setting created with a lot of fantasy. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Rodgers Nyangena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Rodgers Nyangena »

Honestly speaking the tale is thrilling and makes the reader curious. Has a nice flow and I can say it's a nice book for a 21st century child and adults too.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

"Sebastian and the Invisible Island" by Michael William Hogan is an interesting story that challenges one's ability to survive in a strange island. I will read to know if Sebastian Youngfield made it out of the island. Great book.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 83736
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1131%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Book 📖📖📚📖 of the day BOTD is sci-fi fantasy @ only 11yo Sebastian and his parents went on a world sailing in south Pacific storm blew their boat and Sebastian was left drifting away on the sea .! while his parents shipwreck on rocks .sabestian is a waken by a green pelican who nip on his toe the pelican a lerted him to a safe crossing only for them to find a large alien island and he get to know one alien called dorrgroos it was peaceful they were being chased by evil alien species called zeppendulars.the only hope for the dorrgroos to return home was to capture zeppendulars.. dorrgroos have shifted their shape in other creatures encounter to motu so they can nourish over years ..this book gave me goosebumps 😐😐 it was well written and reviewed I don't like alien especially how they shape-shift not my kind of book😐😐
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an amazing science fiction fantasy novel highlighting an invisible island, danger, action, suspense, extraterrestrials, and survival. The book is temporarily discounted on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

It WOULD be terrifying to be that young and to find yourself without the help of friendly adults.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”