Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elenimo Chembe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elenimo-chembe.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by Elenimo Chembe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you have watched and enjoyed the famous TV show series the Game of Thrones, then you will certainly enjoy We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies. The author of the book, Matthew Tysz, fills the book with suspense and keeps his writing style simple and captivating. The setting of the story is in a totally different fictitious kingdom called Voulhire – a turbulent and terrifying land filled with people with magical powers.

The king of Voulhire stayed in peace with his four sons until he realises the danger posed by them. Apart from competing with each other, the four sons were also feared to be plotting to overthrow the king. To avert crisis and danger the king decides to give each son a separate island and resources – each son rules his island. However, despite efforts to diffuse the situation, a ravaging civil war breaks out. Who will win the civil war? Will the king take sides? Will the winner of the civil war dethrone the king? The events unfold in a scintillating and vivid manner. Amidst this turmoil is a young refugee, Galen, who has inherited a fortune and is keen to start a new life in Voulhire. What role will he play in the unfolding events in Voulhire?

The book is professionally written and I had a hard time finding any errors in it. The book is the epitome of what a fantasy novel should entail – the author has a unique mix of characters and enough background information about the characters is given for a reader to appreciate. I also like the fact that the book has a map at the beginning to help a reader visualise the kingdom. Without this, a reader can find it daunting to piece together the multiple areas consisted in Voulhire. The author also did a good job of balancing the fantastical elements of sorcery and real-world elements. Moreover, I felt that the conversations struck by the characters in the book are entertaining and very realistic. Finally, the book is also replete with action – this is something a lot of readers would find exciting.

I didn’t find much I disliked in the book although at the beginning of the book I struggled to keep up with multiple characters in the book. But as I continued reading the book it was even more exciting as I started piecing the story together and found out how the characters related. I will, therefore, rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I can’t wait to read the remaining books in the series.

I recommend the book to lovers of action, mystery and fantasy novels. The book may not appeal to those who don’t like a book with many moving parts and that takes time to build momentum. All in all, this is one of my favourite books.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

I am delighted by the review and I must say that it has intrigued me to read this book.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”