Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by Donna Walker »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a must-read for fantasy fiction lovers. This first book in what will be a series of eight books spends most of its time introducing characters, of which there are many. The characters are deep and complex and very well developed. In one chapter you think you know who the protagonist is, and then in the next, you are unsure again. It's a book that you do need to focus on, certainly not one to read while sleepy. There is so much information to process. I found that it unfolds like the first season of a tv show, more introductory, but don't let that put you off, there is a lot of action and gory violence twisted in the plot.

I became entranced by the magical kingdom of Voulhire. Matthew Tysz transports you to a world of powerful mages and Mianoran Knights. A world where three universes exist, the spirit universe, the physical universe, and the magic universe. Galan Bray is a young man who is able to leave the harsh, wartorn Lands of the Princes and start a new life in the town of Magnum Caelum in the Kingdom of Voulhire. Here, he takes over his deceased uncle's smithery and learns all about this magical land and what it is like to not live in poverty. Each chapter goes to a different town or area of Voulhire and introduces the characters there.

There is nothing that I disliked about We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies, except that the book doesn’t really have an ending it’s more of a continuation into the next book in the series. I'm not sure if this is a positive or negative aspect. It certainly makes one want to carry on to the next book right away, which I did!

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It's a very entertaining read that once completed makes you want to pick up book two We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko, and read it immediately! If you love fantasy fiction books like A Game of Thrones, The Chronicles of Narnia, and The Witcher series look no further, this series is for you! It is exceptionally well-edited and I highly recommend it.

This book is not suitable for young children. It is a complex read with rather graphic war-type violence from the beginning and references to pedophilia and rape are made. There is sparse use of major profanity throughout.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Donna Walker »

This book is a must-read for fantasy fiction lovers. It was one of the first reviews that I wrote for OBC. I became entranced by the magical kingdom of Voulhire and immediately went on to read book 2. Congratulations on BOTD!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”