Review of WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review of WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings" by Mike L Junior.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dr. Drake Nathan's cybernetic chip cured cancer, blindness, and other diseases and changed people's DNA. Over time children were born with the altered DNA without the chip. Thus, the beginning of the Technology Era and the death of Earth. Technology became so advanced people could not use it. After the Technology Era died, the Apocalypse Era began, and society fell apart. Ordinary people started having children with unheard-of abilities, becoming Abnormals. The Abnormals were discriminated against and hunted down like animals. Kaarina and Monty are two orphaned Abnormals who are on their way to Xenora to join the Berserkers Guild, where they will be shown kindness and have a sense of family. But can they get there while being hunted, or will they be killed? What are Kaarina's and Monty's special abilities? Read WatchDogs: Abnormal Beginnings Book 1 by Mike L. Junior to learn more about this book.

Mike L. Junior has done a fantastic job with character and demographic development. Each character is fully developed, and their unique abilities are clearly demonstrated. I could easily visualize the Dead Zone's desert, caves, and rock mounds. I could picture the lizards, giants, and Blood Lycans, which are 200-pound wolves that stand seven feet tall. I liked that the author used all caps for dialogue that consisted of yelling and italics to show memories.

Unfortunately, there were many things I disliked about this book. Sentences contain past and present tenses, which I found confusing. There are two types of missions, S-Class and A-Class, and they are not defined, so I never understood the difference between them. Each chapter has the letters "xyz" at the end without explaining what they meant. The one thing that destroyed my enjoyment of this book was the number of errors. These errors consisted of formatting issues like spacing between words and sentences, missing words, missing punctuation, inconsistencies, usage of wrong character names, wrong words (e.g., "of" instead of "off," "her" instead of "here," "use" instead of "us," and "hoped" for "hopped," to name a few), and line spaces between sentences.

Although the story's plot is good, the negative aspects ruined my enjoyment of reading the book. For this reason, I have no choice but to give this book 1 out of 4 stars. I did not give it more stars because general proofreading would have found many of the errors. This book needs to be revised and edited by a professional editor to earn more stars.

I am not comfortable recommending this book to anyone in its current condition. However, if you do not mind guessing which character is speaking, discrepancies, and a plethora of errors in your books, you may enjoy reading this one. If you like science-fiction books that question the existence and motivation of God, discrimination, and war, then this book is for you. This book is not specific to religious or non-religious beliefs because it contains both religious and atheist zealots. Sensitive and younger readers need to be aware of the descriptive sexual content and extensive use of extreme non-borderline profanity.

WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

This book has an interesting plot. Unfortunately, there are a lot of issues with it. I believe once corrections are made, this book would receive a perfect rating. Thanks for your honest review.
Leandre Nyathi
Currently Reading: The Intense Reality of Eternity
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leandre-nyathi.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Leandre Nyathi »

Such a shame about the errors as the book has quite an intriguing plot. I would be willing to read it once errors are corrected. Thank you for an honest and thorough review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I have wanted to read this book ever since I saw it as BOTM for June. I went and read the description and, of course, it did not mention any of the issues that you did. It is unfortunate that there were so many errors and things that were not explained. I hope that the author uses your comments for improvement.
Blessing E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-e.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Blessing E »

I always enjoy reading your reviews. They're precise and comprehensive. Well done on another engaging review
Ifesi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifesi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Ifesi »

Well-detailed review! Thanks for an honest review.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

This is a very honest review. Thank you for pointing out the negatives in the book.
ellimctreph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellimctreph.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by ellimctreph »

Wow. This made book of the month for June so I'm surprised that you don't think this is a good book. Still, thanks for a honest review.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

The plott is not that bad I think, but so many errors are not a good invitation to read this book. Fine review!
Lindzy Herbrand
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: A Wrinkle in Time
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindzy-herbrand.html
Latest Review: the REMF, Hurry Up and Wait by Ray Dyer
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by Lindzy Herbrand »

It is a disappointment to hear that June’s Book of the Month has only managed to receive 1 of 4 stars from a reputable reviewer. Thank you for the complete and honest review.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

This book disappoints me. I thought the plot was intriguing and characters would be great features. However, from your review, the errors would be so distracting, I would lose my patience trying to decipher them. Great objective review.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Nino Chinonso Onwurah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nino-chinonso-onwurah.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Nino Chinonso Onwurah »

The plot seems very interesting: Outcasts escaping the challenge of being hunted down. However, the errors you mentioned are discouraging. Guessing who is speaking will be the most arduous task for me. I hope the author revises the book.
nwankwo chibuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-chibuchi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by nwankwo chibuchi »

A book about technological advancements and how it affected society will be such an insightful read. I didn't witness the first technological inventions and they affected society and I will love to read about it in a book.
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

Thanks for such a detailed review. I was curious about the low rating, especially as it is BOTM for June, but I think you were very fair. I hope the book is soon edited properly so that it can be fully appreciated and enjoyed. The image on the front cover was enough to deter me from reading it previously!
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

By the way - apologies for judging a book by its cover....

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”