The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Strongbob25
Currently Reading: Maskerade
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strongbob25.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Re: The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

Post by Strongbob25 »

This book is so wonderful. No one spins a dark fairytale like Gaiman!
pinefamily
Currently Reading: Magician
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by pinefamily »

Having enjoyed his American Gods, and Norse Mythology, I will definitely give this a go.
Honeybeetle
Currently Reading: Snow Crash
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybeetle.html
Latest Review: Loving Well, The Key To Satisfying and Joyful Relationships by Erin K Leonard (Dr Erin Leonard)

Post by Honeybeetle »

I finally got around to this book yesterday, and couldn't put it down until I'd finished it! Definitely one of Gaiman's strongest offerings. I don't know if this will make sense, but I could see this story as a Studio Ghibli film, if they ever wanted to dip a toe into horror. Gaiman is great at blending mundane life with the eldritch and off-putting, and I thought this book was absolutely top shelf all the way through.
Holler about books on Twitter with me @DextroColeo! :techie-studyinggray:
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

The first time we read American Gods, my partner said to me “This is why I can never write a book, because I could never be this good.” The truth is, there are very few people who are as talented at writing as Neil Gaiman, and The Ocean at the End of the Lane continues his tradition of authorial excellence.

I cannot truly give a summary of the plot without giving too much away. I think it is best to say this is a book about memory, childhood, and how the way we view the world changes as we grow older. It is also a book about friendship and sacrifice, and asks the age old question of “Was it worth it?” without ever actually trying to answer the question.

The characters are well drawn and believable. There are varying levels of detail given that all make sense based on how memory changes over time – some things we remember with crystal clarity and others just fade into the background. What you never doubt are the emotions of the main character. Gaiman manages to write an unreliable narrator who is absolutely reliable.

What I mean by that is that we know we are viewing the story through memory, and then through the eyes of a child, and children are traditionally unreliable narrators, as they do not understand everything in the world around them. At the same time, the narrator is always emotionally true to himself. Even if you as an adult would not believe the story, you know the child telling it to you believes it completely.

As usual, Gaiman manages to mix myth and magic seamlessly into the “real” world, creating an ocean out of a duck pond – an ocean I would love to visit.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”