Review of The Games

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Review of The Games

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Games" by Tom Roberts.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tomos A. Roberts created a fantasy world in this captivating book, The Games. It commenced with the Northerners, and the center stage was taken by the Lionsmayne family and an abused girl, Rose. Teo and Jai, warriors and sons of Lord Lionsmayne, saved Rose from being exchanged for a cow by her father. The emperor of the south invited almost all creatures to celebrate the moon feast with them. During the period of the feast, an assassination plan by Ferise, an adviser to Zark, the emperor's wayward younger son, was discovered by Rose, who relayed the plan to the Northerners. What ensued was a great battle that would change life's normal course. Read more to discover the hidden truths embedded in this book.

The author's delivery of the storyline was top-notch. The story was also sequentially arranged and was given a chronological order. The plot was well-strategized, and the storytelling was creatively done. The author wonderfully built the image of each of the characters so well that they seemed very real. He made the story suspenseful and so full of action that it would keep readers interested and engaged throughout the book. The description of the events and the way the story climaxed was wonderful and would stir the imaginative instincts of the readers. Also, the book was professionally edited; there was just one grammatical error in it.

The usage of profane words seemed a bit too much, and some readers may find it offensive. I felt it could have been toned down a bit. The playback in one of the chapters, specifically chapter two, was too long, and some parts of it seemed unnecessary, making me wonder why they were added to the story. Apart from the above points, the book was an intriguing read.

I would give The Games by Tomos A. Roberts a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The deducted star was because of the excessive profane language and the second issue mentioned in the previous paragraph. I did not deduct more stars because of the sequential arrangement of the story and the wonderful plot.

The Games by Tomos A. Roberts is well recommended to fantasy lovers. It would also be enjoyed by lovers of fiction and action as there were a lot of laid-out adventures. It also offers a range of valuable life lessons and morals that would be useful in the long run for the readers.

The Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Belen Egan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belen-egan.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Belen Egan »

All the intrigue and political adversities sound really interesting. Thanks for your review.
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

Thank goodness Rose was saved from being exchanged for a cow. Strange as it may seem but I know somewhere where the lives of cows are more protected than human lives. So sad!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I know how people talk, but I find that some books have an excessive amount of profane language. I am glad that Rose was not exchanged for a cow and that she discovered evidence of the assassination. I only hope she was rewarded appropriately.
ellimctreph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellimctreph.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by ellimctreph »

Political intrigue with a heartwarming character? Sign me up!
Joyce Nwaogazie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

A clandestine political plot sounds interesting to me. Count me in.
Sopulu Ezidimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezidimma-01.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sopulu Ezidimma »

Thank you for your review nice one. Great book too but i don't think i will love to read this book.
Destiny Freedom
Favorite Book: The Most Unlikely Champion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-aaton.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Destiny Freedom »

The review of this book was captivating and I think it would be fascinating as foretold by the reviewer. I can't wait to engage The Games by Tomos .A. Roberts.
Many books can inform you but there's only one that can transform you(The Holy Bible). Pls don't forget to drop a comment for this review. Thanks. :D :tiphat:
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging fantasy novel that includes adventure and action but also life lessons with some food for thought. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”