Review of Duality Protocol

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Review of Duality Protocol

Post by Alice Heritage »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Duality Protocol" by Christopher B Lane.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the not-too-distant future, global warming might trigger waves of climate refugees. However, what if the same future holds technological innovations that will help to sustain life on Earth by enabling humans to consume fewer resources?

The science fiction novel Duality Protocol by Christopher B Lane is set in a near future when environmental degradation has affected geopolitics. Britain is self-sufficient yet totalitarian; all citizens are incentivized to be implanted with a chip and preferably sterilized. Brilliant neuroscientist Heather Bernard perfects the duality band technology that saves resources by enabling two minds to inhabit one body. She trades in her ageing body for a share of that of a young climate journalist named Quinn. Meanwhile, the mind of Heather's husband Grey is residing in the body of Quinn's soldier husband Bailey. Each personality lives consciously in the body for two weeks in turn while the other sleeps. This seems fair, yet as we know, automation has its risks.

When Bailey wakes up on a day when Grey was scheduled to control the body, he realizes something is wrong. Has someone tampered with the programming? If so, who, and why? What role will be played by Millie, the new recruit to the experimental facility where the "Duals" reside? Gifted and idealistic, Millie has long been at pains to conceal emotions like anger and excitement from a government that monitors her every move and biological statistic through her chip. Will she evade detection as she carries out her plans?

As will be clear from the above, this story centres on the tension between technological advances and ethics. As the characters strive to keep their motives hidden, a dramatic plot plays out. Revelation builds upon revelation towards an ending I will never forget. Unfortunately, however, the story did not grab me in earnest until about a third of the way in.

This was partly because the characters' use of the current era as a reference point was implausible. People do look back, but this often felt forced. For example, a nurse performing Millie's citizen implant says, "Isn't technology amazing?" (Duality Protocol by Christopher B Lane, p.9). It does not ring true for someone in the 2030s to talk like this.

On a related note, the early chapters contained a lot of exposition, often in the form of dialogues that were too conspicuously for the reader's benefit. Partly because it was difficult to get into at first and partly because I found more than ten errors, my rating for this book is three out of four stars.

The errors were generally not distracting, and there is no reason to deduct more than one star, because despite my points above, this work is polished. Lane did a fantastic job of crafting the plot. The rapid reveals at the end were breathtaking. The themes were steadily sustained and developed. As we have a pet frog, I appreciated the book's frog leitmotif.

The natural world is important in this drama that plays out against a backdrop of climate change, but human devices are also central. Lane created intriguing and relatable characters. I appreciated his strong females leading the scientific field. Given that aspect and its exploration of ethics, this book would certainly be a good fit for fans of Asimov's I, Robot. I recommend it to those who like dystopian or social science fiction. The style is straightforward, but the basics to set a scene are always present. Lane has given thought to the biological and emotional aspects of body sharing as well as to the duality band technology and how it shapes the plot.

This book about morals and ethics that takes the mind-body connection to new levels features strong spiritual themes. Ultimately, such messages represented its greatest takeaway for me. These did not relate to any particular religion, more to the universal human experience, and to the dangers of messing with nature, but also to its power.

Duality Protocol
View: on Bookshelves
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

The thought of a duality band technology that saves resources by enabling two minds to inhabit one body is quite fascinating. I find sci-fi books very entertaining, and I am sure to enjoy this one. Nice review.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Adaeze Joan wrote: 06 May 2022, 02:29 The thought of a duality band technology that saves resources by enabling two minds to inhabit one body is quite fascinating. I find sci-fi books very entertaining, and I am sure to enjoy this one. Nice review.
It was an ingenious idea and well executed. Thank you for your comment!
Mod
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker

Post by Amy Luman »

I have really begun to enjoy science fiction novels as of late and this one has an interesting concept. Allowing two consciousness to inhabit the same body seems very efficient, especially when resources are in such a limited supply. I’m also confused by it, though.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Amy Luman wrote: 06 May 2022, 13:31 I have really begun to enjoy science fiction novels as of late and this one has an interesting concept. Allowing two consciousness to inhabit the same body seems very efficient, especially when resources are in such a limited supply. I’m also confused by it, though.
It is very dystopian and scary. On the face of it ageing people have the enviable opportunity of switching into a younger body. But it is disturbing for the characters in practice.
Mod
Blessing E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-e.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Blessing E »

Morality and ethics. Great. I appreciate well written reviews. This is because it gives me an idea of how to structure my reviews subsequently. Thanks teaching me what a good review is. And congratulations for having your review published.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Blessing E wrote: 07 May 2022, 03:19 Morality and ethics. Great. I appreciate well written reviews. This is because it gives me an idea of how to structure my reviews subsequently. Thanks teaching me what a good review is. And congratulations for having your review published.
Thank you for your kind words! I think it's a shame that reviews on this site are often so formulaic and always appreciate something a little different.
Mod
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by wmeki510 »

You've done an amazing job writing this review. The issue of global warming is really critical and it requires a collective, global action to ensure the continued existence of the human race. I commend Lane for writing a book addressing this issue.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Kingsondml wrote: 07 May 2022, 18:35 You've done an amazing job writing this review. The issue of global warming is really critical and it requires a collective, global action to ensure the continued existence of the human race. I commend Lane for writing a book addressing this issue.
Well, it was fiction and he imagined a scenario. But he certainly built on current trends. Thank you for your comment!
Mod
Amarachi Nwankwo03
Currently Reading: Summer Showers
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amarachinwankwo.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Amarachi Nwankwo03 »

This sounds like something that would make a great film if done properly. I agree with your line of thought concerning the nurse marveling at technology in the 2030s. Anyways, I always try hard but can never seem to like science fiction. You also did mention negative points that definitely aren’t trying to change my mind. So I would have to pass on this one. Thank you too for a detailed review.

PS- I think ‘Duals’ is such a cool name !😂
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Chinyere Nwankwo wrote: 08 May 2022, 14:27 This sounds like something that would make a great film if done properly. I agree with your line of thought concerning the nurse marveling at technology in the 2030s. Anyways, I always try hard but can never seem to like science fiction. You also did mention negative points that definitely aren’t trying to change my mind. So I would have to pass on this one. Thank you too for a detailed review.

PS- I think ‘Duals’ is such a cool name !😂
The author did have some excellent ideas. I can also see this making a great film. But I've often seen science fiction writers emphasize today's perspective too much.

Thank you for reading and commenting!
Mod
ellimctreph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellimctreph.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by ellimctreph »

I was ready to pick up the book until you said it was hard to get into. I love books that immerse me right from the beginning, but still a great review.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

ellimctreph wrote: 10 May 2022, 03:47 I was ready to pick up the book until you said it was hard to get into. I love books that immerse me right from the beginning, but still a great review.
Well, the characters and situation are well introduced early on. But as I said, the exposition was unfortunately a bit overdone. Thank you for your comment!
Mod
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Christopherio »

Science fictions are the best, they have a way of stimulating the creative mind and imagination. This sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for the review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The body-sharing idea is intriguing with the possible ramifications it can have in a dystopic future that has its foundations in our time after our current problems become worse. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”