Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dominique M 5
Currently Reading: Mirrored Sword Part One
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominique-m-5.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

Post by Dominique M 5 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the novel, Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker, we follow Grant Taylor as he deals with the loss of his beloved Uncle Randall. His uncle was presumed dead by the Russian government a year after he went missing during an expedition deep into the wilds of Siberia. Grant travels to Saint Petersburg to handle the matters of his uncle’s estate. While there, he begins to believe that there is more to the story than what he has been told. A break-in at his uncle’s apartment is the first clue. Grant confronts the burglar and scares him off. The burglar seemed interested in his uncle’s old journals. Later, Grant learns that there is a second expedition to the region to search for survivors and continue the exploration. He joins the second expedition along with several scientists, a doctor, ex-military men and women, and Colonel Max Volkov. Colonel Volkov is the sole survivor of the last mission to Zona. During the expedition, the group is confronted with several obstacles and animals to reach their destination. Do they make it to Zona? Did anyone survive? Will they survive?

This novel has everything I want in a novel, suspense, science fiction, deception, romance, and mystery. What more could you ask for?! I enjoyed the characters and all their different personalities. There was a lot of diversity, and the character development was done well. It was a little difficult at first to keep everyone straight since there were so many new characters introduced at once. But I did not feel like this took away from the novel in any way. The author does a good job of creating a vivid picture in the reader’s mind of the surroundings. Plants and animals were described in detail building a solid picture in the reader’s mind.

The author took the time to build the relationships between the characters on their expedition. When they first set out Grant only knows three other people on the expedition. During their journey, he builds meaningful relationships with the other characters. You begin to feel the camaraderie they are building, and you watch it continue to grow during the novel.

If there was one thing I didn’t like about the book it would be the lack of explanation for the abilities Grant just happens to possess as they get closer to their destination. I didn’t feel that this took away from the story at all. It was so minor that I still enjoyed that novel.

I would rate the novel a 3 out of 4 stars. It was a thrill ride and was a book that I had a hard time putting down. The novel seemed to be professionally edited. I found no errors.

I would recommend this novel to young adults and adults that love romance, drama, Sci-Fi, and suspense. There are some intimate parts in the novel, but the scenes are not written in detail. There are some scenes when the characters have to defend themselves, but again I don’t believe they were written in graphic detail. The author left a lot to your own imagination in regard to those instances.

Zona: The Forbidden Land
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”