Review of Nightlord: Sunset

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dominique M 5
Currently Reading: Mirrored Sword Part One
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominique-m-5.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Review of Nightlord: Sunset

Post by Dominique M 5 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would you do if you woke up from a night out and something was just different? It’s a subtle feeling. You ignore it at first, thinking it is just a lingering effect from your hangover. Then you notice that you're changing and you’re not sure if it is in a good or bad way.

In the novel Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited, this is what happens to Eric. Recently being dumped by his fiancé, he goes out with his friends for a few drinks. He wakes up the next morning with a killer hangover and in the company of a woman named Sasha in her sprawling estate. There is an immediate attraction and Eric slowly learns that their rendezvous wasn’t entirely by chance. Sasha has changed him into a nightlord. Similar to a vampire but is also able to tolerate sunlight. Sasha tries to teach Eric everything he needs to know about what he has become. But there is a force that is trying to kill them, and others like them. Eric is then thrust into a centuries-old battle and is scrambling to be prepared to fight for and defend those he cares about. When someone close to Eric is killed, he becomes enraged and decides to take the fight to the enemy. In doing so, Eric ends up traveling through a portal to another reality which is the home of the organization that is hunting him. This decision is the beginning of an amazing journey of self-discovery, love, suspense, magic, and mystery.

I loved this novel. Eric is such a lovable, charismatic, and fun character. He has an amazing sense of humor and is a true hero. Throughout the novel, he struggles to see himself as others do. He has a hard time believing that he is a good man because he is also a nightlord. He struggles with the dark and the light inside himself. But we know better. We watch Eric overcome immense odds and continually show courage, bravery, mercy, and understanding to those that may or may not be worthy. The novel was on the longer side, but I wouldn’t have had it any other way. I loved following Eric around as he travels this new reality. He learned how to survive and gained a pretty impressive entourage due to his courage and capacity for doing what is right no matter the cost to him.

I wasn’t able to find anything I didn’t like about the novel. The novel seemed to be professionally edited and I found no errors. All the characters were purposeful and were well developed. The descriptions of the places and scenery are thorough and vivid. I can picture the places Eric travels and the people and creatures he comes across easily.

I rate this novel a 4 out of 4 stars. This book is the first in the Nightlord series. I can easily see these books becoming a series of movies. It reminds me of another series of books about a traveling band determined to accomplish their quest.

I would recommend this novel to young adults and adults who love fantasy, drama, romance, and suspense. I would not recommend this novel to those who can’t stomach graphic descriptions of battles. There are a few and the descriptions might be too much for some. Otherwise, this book was an epic adventure, and I can’t wait to read on to the next.

Nightlord: Sunset
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”