Review of Logistics. A Christmas Story

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashley Ram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-ram.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Review of Logistics. A Christmas Story

Post by Ashley Ram »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Logistics. A Christmas Story" by Chris Coppel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Logistic: A Christmas Story by Chris Coppel is about Holly, a hard-headed businesswoman who finds an interesting anomaly in her familial roots. It’s a short, frolicking fantasy where we see Holly travel to an unknown dimension and rekindle ties with her estranged father. The story is sweet and simple, very characteristic of most Christmas stories. We have a protagonist who initially hates festivities, but the warm caresses of the bright-lit holiday have their heart grow three times larger.

The structure of the main character was strong and made way for interesting development. It was both sad and intriguing to read about the tumultuous life of a foster child, especially one who was unable to find a solid home. That and seeing the different family dynamics Holly was placed into throughout her lifetime. I love that the story shows the impact on a child's growth when family foundations are unstable and ever-changing, especially in values and social convention. Because of this moving around, Holly grew to misunderstand emotional commitments and often tarnished her relationships.

Without giving too many spoilers, I also enjoyed Holly coming to terms with the harsh realities of her industry. Connecting with her roots not only brought her father back but a sense of her passion outside of a clean comfort zone. Instead of staying stuck as a lifeless CEO, she bursts at the seams and tries to be happy. At the same time, Holly didn’t have to diminish her abilities. She still uses her strengths without being cold or distant. I feel like many stories try to completely erase a character of their abilities when having redemption arcs, but the author kept to Holly’s strengths.

The only criticism I would give is the errors in writing, particularly the fluctuated pacing. Scenes were often heavy in dialogue, especially in the earlier chapters. I wish the earlier chapters were more concise so Holly could leave for her birthplace sooner. It didn’t turn me off from the story but having more conciseness could've helped maintain interest. A lot of the dialogues and descriptions, in the beginning, became dull quickly.

I rate this 3 out of 4 stars. The book is a beautiful read for anyone who likes heartwarming Christmas stories. If you’re into the whole cold-hearted grinch turned mushy Christmas lover arc, then you’ll truly enjoy this story.

Logistics. A Christmas Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”