Review of Happenstance

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jachike Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jachike-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Arise by Doreen Moore-Barrett

Review of Happenstance

Post by Jachike Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Happenstance" by Phil Sheehan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Robert, an intern at the Johnson Space Center, discovers and reports an unknown object on Mars, and a spaceship bound for Mars is given a command to investigate it. Another unknown object also pops up on Pluto and has to be investigated. This raises questions about the relation between these objects and arouses curiosity about possible life forms in space. Major Blake of the Navy SEAL is sent into space by the U.S. government and teams up with operatives from other countries. Together, they head into space aboard Armstrong I, but they soon discover they are not alone. Terrorist attacks erupt in space and back on Earth, and the chances of survival are slim for the space explorers, the U.S., and humankind. Do the space explorers return from their mission? How are the terrorists handled? Do they engage other life forms in space?

Happenstance by Phil Sheehan was an incredible, satisfying, and enthralling read for me. Not all space adventure stories work for me, but this one definitely did. Through the characters and unfolding events, the author incorporated themes of bravery, patriotism, religious extremism, and the art of war. I enjoyed the unpredictable nature of the plot. A few examples of this unpredictability include the suspicion that one of the operatives aboard Armstrong I was a terrorist, how one of Blake's elite team members was kidnapped, and the bombings by Islamic extremists.

I'm a massive fan of sci-fi and loved the storyline of this book. I would say, though, that there were some dialogues and events I didn't fully comprehend because of my lack of sufficient physics knowledge. This isn't a dislike as it has more to do with me than the author's story.

Sheehan's powers of description were remarkable. He created a believable world and put sufficient effort into the story's character development. This was evident in the way he portrayed the skills of some members of Blake's elite team and Major, too: Blake's leadership ability, Harry's intelligence, and Patty's mastery of languages, to mention a few. While the plot was primarily focused on the happenings in space and back on Earth, the author found space to infuse a little romance in the story, which was a nice touch. It was interesting to read about Sean and his puppy love for Patty, the linguist. This story was fast-paced and had enough action-packed scenes to keep me engaged.

I couldn't find anything worth disliking about the book. It was action-packed, had a well-developed plot, and was professionally edited. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to lovers of sci-fi stories that incorporate lots of space adventures and extraterrestrial characters.

Happenstance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tehreem000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tehreem000.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Tehreem000 »

I was starting to like this book while reading your review, which is wonderful by the way, when the phrase "bombings by Islamic extremists" came across. Islamic terrorism? In science fiction? I'm gonna pass this.
Raymond N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymond-n.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 54%

Post by Raymond N »

Sounds like an incredibly great story. Some elements infused into the story don't agree with my preference, though. Great review.
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: How I survived life by Neil Cooper

Post by Walter R »

This looks like quite an intriguing plot or storyline. Would definitely love to have this book in my shelf. Great review.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

I can't get tired of reading science fiction. Thanks for the review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Heorot
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Great and Incredible Germophiles by Tatiana Hillman
2022 Reading Goal: 57
2022 Goal Completion: 38%

Post by NetMassimo »

I don't mind stories with some strong scientific elements and this one also includes a lot of action and aliens in a mix that makes it intriguing. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”