Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Soraya Bayah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thuriya-albayaa.html
Latest Review: The Lockdown Collection by Barry Jacob

Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

Post by Soraya Bayah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dr. Grant Taylor encounters a mysterious man with valuable information about his missing uncle, Randall. The man hands over a journal to Grant, containing information about what Randall witnessed in Zona. Shortly after, this man gets murdered. What happened in that expedition that the authorities did not want to disclose? We only know one thing; Max Volkov is the only survivor. Yet he could not locate Randall's body. Could Randall still be alive?

Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker is a captivating story narrated by Grant. With each chapter marking a day, the book was like a journal. Grant inspects the apartment left by his uncle and stumbles upon hidden mysteries. He later meets Boris, Randall's attorney, and Boris's niece, Irina, and discovers more about the failed expedition. Grant finds himself accepting to go on Zona expedition II in hopes of finding his uncle. With Volkov as the leader, the team ventures through Northern Siberia to uncover the mysteries of Zona. Ambushes by intelligent 5-foot wolves, an encounter that shifts the tides, and much more awaits in this thrilling adventure.

This book was exceptional. As an avid lover of adventure, mystery, and fantasy, I can gladly say I was content with the entirety of this book. The author was precise with everything, including the progression, world-building, and execution. It was a well-written novel with developed characters and unexpected turns that left the readers wanting more. Moreover, there were dangerous fights against savage animals, and the author was unafraid to kill off characters. The flow was remarkable, and the details were not overwhelming; they were sufficient, seamlessly painting the scene in front of my eyes. Zona's Fauna and Fiona grew on me, and I enjoyed reading through all the species that inhabited this mysterious land.

One aspect that I wholly enjoyed was when Grant read his uncle's journal during the venture. Randall's writings left hints of what Grant's team might encounter. It also included awful stories of how the previous travelers got killed. The author knew how to grab someone's attention, as I was engrossed and felt as if I was one of the people on the expedition. The characters all had roles to fulfill, and their teamwork made me enjoy the book even more. The story was conveniently split into three parts, starting in Saint Petersburg, Russia, followed by the passage through the taiga and tundra of Siberia. And finally, the arrival at Zona. Themes of betrayal, uncertainty, struggle, and love are present throughout the story. I found the passage through the marshlands to be the most nerve-racking part. A few heroic acts were heartwarming, and the ending had me in tears.

Unfortunately, some negatives made the story less engaging. During the stay in Zona, the crew experiences heightened emotions due to the unidentified chemicals present in the air. As a result, many affairs took place, and the already restless men became even more enraged to the point where they defied their leader. I felt the relationships that occurred were unnecessary, but they indeed were justified. It was only during a relatively small portion of the book, and the lack of detailed intercourse made it easier to tolerate this part. Grant's inability to comprehend and not question the acts against him—even when they were direct and overt—was yet another frustrating aspect. Additionally, he failed to take care of important documents and letters from Uncle Randall.

Since the negatives were minimal, I am delighted to give this book a score of four out of four stars. I found the book exceptionally edited, with no errors that I could detect. Because of the usage of cursing and the presence of sexual content, this book is intended for mature readers only. Fans of The Hobbit, Journey to the Center of the Earth, and movies that include vicious animals are sure to enjoy this read.

Zona: The Forbidden Land
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tebogo Eugene M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tebogo-eugene-m.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Tebogo Eugene M »

I would like to know that Dr. Grant Taylor did find his missing uncle, Randall. Would love to read the book as I am a fan of adventure, mystery, and fantasy. Reviewing your review I can see you enjoyed reading the, thanks for the review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Soraya Bayah
Currently Reading:

Post by Soraya Bayah »

Tebogo Eugene M wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 03:24 I would like to know that Dr. Grant Taylor did find his missing uncle, Randall. Would love to read the book as I am a fan of adventure, mystery, and fantasy. Reviewing your review I can see you enjoyed reading the, thanks for the review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Thank you for taking the time to comment! Yes, I was indeed content, as I am also an avid lover of the genres you mentioned. Regarding Randall, you'll have to read to find out!
Marija Savic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marija-savic.html
Latest Review: Faults by Orion Gregory
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Marija Savic »

This book is for my list, I love mystery and adventure. I'm just curious what happened on the expedition. Thanks for the review, it is intriguing and detailed!
Soraya Bayah
Currently Reading:

Post by Soraya Bayah »

Marija Savic wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 14:31 This book is for my list, I love mystery and adventure. I'm just curious what happened on the expedition. Thanks for the review, it is intriguing and detailed!
I am glad you enjoyed my review! I hope you will be content with the expedition’s result. :D
Rita Nuncia
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rita-nuncia.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Rita Nuncia »

What later happened to Dr. Grant's Uncle?!. I'm so interested in reading this book. Awesome Review.
Soraya Bayah
Currently Reading:

Post by Soraya Bayah »

Ritanuncia1 wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 12:37 What later happened to Dr. Grant's Uncle?!. I'm so interested in reading this book. Awesome Review.
You’ll have to read to find out! I hope you have fun with this book. Thank you for passing by. :D
Macha Marumo Mphela
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-macha-marumo-mphela.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Macha Marumo Mphela »

Oh, you rated it 4 stars. I see why you thought my rating was too low. It must have shocked you. I'm glad you had a better reading experience than I did. Great review.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

The way the author wrote about Zona, made me wonder if it could be real...a warm climate enclave in Siberia! Thanks for your wonderful review.
Amelia-Lily
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelia-lily.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Amelia-Lily »

There are good books and there are great books. This is definitely a great book, and it deserves accolades. Great job by author Fred Baker.
Kelvin Modilim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-modilim.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Kelvin Modilim »

The forbidden land became a character of its own, with its secrets and challenges serving as catalysts for the protagonist's growth and self-discovery.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”