Review of Julu

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nkechi Odega
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkechi-odega.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Julu

Post by Nkechi Odega »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Julu" by Jan Anderegg.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a story that follows the land where imagination lives and characters associated with the land. We follow the story of Jack and Mia as they are rescued from their home by a magical dragon named Julu, who takes them through time to protect them from those tying to destroy the land of imagination because Jack will grow to become a guardian of imagination. Julu takes Jack and Mia through time and dimensions, telling them stories about their parents’ past that has brought about their current circumstance, while hiding them from those who mean them harm.

I love how Jan Anderegg weaves the different time lines and it is always relevant to Jack and Mia’s story. The time explanations and the quotes at the beginning of the story were excellent and they help lay the plot foundation for the chapter so that the reader is not confused. I love the short chapters which make the story feel light and not cumbersome. The writing style and language are simple and easy to understand which is suitable for middle grade. The author does a fantastic job of describing the fantastical elements of Jirvania, and it creates such a vivid picture in the reader’s mind.

The way the author tied the plot and created Rapunzel’s story and other fairytale stories was amazing. When I read that Chapter in Julu , I was awed by the creativity it took to come up with the concept. I couldn’t identify a negative aspect of the story for myself.

I am giving 4 out of 4 stars because the story was amazing and so filled with light. Julu was the embodiment of love and despite the fact that Goren had gone astray, he wasn’t immediately condemned. The simplicity of the ideas in the story, as well as the simple language and style suites the target audience. I imagine it will really encourage children of middle grade to read and enjoy the fantastical elements of the story. It will also keep them engaged in the time jumps as they look for clues and tie the events that happen in the past, present and future together.

I would recommend this book to children of age 10-13, although everyone can read and enjoy the story as well. This could easily become a book that pulls young readers into becoming avid readers for life.

Julu
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”