Review of Beating Death

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Beating Death

Post by Melisa Jane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beating Death" by Sean O’Banion.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Each of us is born with either a unique talent or a unique ability, our bit of genius, just waiting to be tapped. Although we have been created uniquely, we still have equal opportunities to experience life to the fullest. After discovering their talents, some people find ways to serve others using them. Beating Death by Sean O'babion is a novel full of adventure. In the book, various characters use their hidden powers to help others whenever they can.

Since he was born, Rob, the main character in the book, has been a unique child. First, he was born underweight and underdeveloped. He is then sent to a special school. For this reason, even at a young age, he knows he's special. One day, he finds out that he can fly. His grandfather warns him not to fly when anyone is watching because the government can capture him and use him to experiment. In his adventure to save the planet from destruction, he meets three witches: Greta, Emily, and Jolie. These witches ask for his help fighting those who abuse their special powers. Will they survive on such a planet?

This book has three hundred and sixty-nine pages. It is divided into fourteen chapters. Within each chapter, there are several other subheadings. The book is told from the first-person point of view. It uses both the present and the past tenses.

There are several things I liked about the book. First, the author's use of several literary devices, such as irony, is applaudable. The author's use of flashbacks and foreshadowing also gives the storyline exciting twists and turns, as well as efficient character development. For example, the author takes us back to how Rob was born and the circumstances that surrounded his birth. This makes us understand who he is and how he acquired his supernatural abilities.

Although this is a great book, it has some flaws. First, the author occasionally switches tenses in the middle of a story or even a sentence. This confused me, mainly because I had to figure out if the narration was still taking place or if it was a flashback of what happened before the narration. Second, this book has so many grammatical errors. I found at least ten grammatical mistakes in the first eight pages of the book. Although the author talks about this on the first few pages of the book and doesn't seem to care much about the errors, he should consider getting the book professionally edited so that a more extensive audience base can enjoy it.

In conclusion, I enjoyed this book's storyline. However, because of the switching of the tenses and several grammatical errors, I found it hard to enjoy it to the fullest. I, therefore, rate it three out of four stars. I didn't rate it lower because it has a great storyline, and the characters are efficiently developed. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading fantasy novels with superhero characters. Those who like professionally edited books may not enjoy reading this book.

Beating Death
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Adventurous book. I wonder if they eventually succeed. Great review.
QualityAndQuantity
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qualityandquantity.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by QualityAndQuantity »

This seems like a book which is filled with adventures, and I'm always down for a good one. Thanks for the amazing review.
Vidhi Adhikari
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

After reading the title, I was afraid that this book would be another self-help story. But after reading your review, I'm keen to know how the characters use their powers for the greater good. Thanks for such a detailed review.
ChampagneSon
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-champagneson.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by ChampagneSon »

Seems like an interesting read, A one-sitting read by how you reviewed it but because of the many grammatical errors you mentioned, I would pass on it. Thank you for the review
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

This seems like an interesting read. I'd love to know how he used the powers and if the government found out about him. Nice review
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

Great review that awakens the urge to read it and engage one's mind for a journey into the world of magic and mysteries.
Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga
Favorite Book: How to Survive the Coming Retirement Storm
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-korie-ifeoma-chisomaga.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga »

It is enough to say that the book centers on leaving an enduring legacy because one lived a full, selfless life.
Avishi
Currently Reading: all body bags and no knickers
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishi.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade
Reading Device: Pdf

Post by Avishi »

Your review is great. It sums up the both the positive and negative and it gives me a clear vision on reading this book. As this story is based on superpowers it would be fun to read.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

Stories like this would make you not have an excuse at fighting back at life. Rob story is an incredible one
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

Have always found science fiction to be quite intriguing and able to stir my imagination. This book certainly seems to possess such quality. Will love to try it out.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging novel with a sophisticated storyline and well-developed characters, so I hope the author does another round of proofreading to make it excellent. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”