Review of Stone of Gabriel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tawni Noorda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tawni-noorda.html
Latest Review: Stone of Gabriel by Gary A. Pattillo

Review of Stone of Gabriel

Post by Tawni Noorda »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Stone of Gabriel" by Gary A. Pattillo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kurt Palmer, a 13-year-old on a camping trip with his father, inadvertently discovers an odd stone in a California riverbed. After unintentionally shooting the stone through a shabby boot, Kurt shares the stone with his two most intimate friends, both of whom drop the stone in terrible pain. Unsure of how to properly handle the situation, with no knowledge of the stone's possible origin, the three friends vow to conceal it. While holding the stone back at home, he glimpses a deformed face with red eyes on the television. Hoping to assist officers detaining the man, he calls to inform them of his discovery. Steve Bailey, a detective who tragically lost his wife and son in a house fire, is also the carrier of a rare stone. Once he becomes aware of Kurt's ability to perceive the demons who have inhabited humans, he begins to follow Kurt hoping to discover another stone holder. When they finally make contact, Kurt uncovers his lineage of power and the reason the stone doesn't injure him. Using their stones, the two come together to bring down a serial killer who leaves disturbing coded messages for the detective.

I enjoyed most aspects of Gary Pattillo's novel, from the unusual adventure to the way he developed the relationship between the characters. Pattillo kept the story flowing, preventing the readers from ever being disengaged in the characters progress toward victory. The rocky beginning for Kurt and Steve kept you invested in the outcome of their companionship, when they finally team up the desire to witness their success is inevitable. Also, the realistic environments with supernatural elements were fascinating to say the least.

I was disappointed that there wasn't more of an explanation on the demon that they were searching for throughout the book. It leaves you wondering where the hatred for the detective comes from, how it began, and who exactly he is. Apart from that, I could detect no other faults in the book.

Stone of Gabriel is brilliantly written, I cannot provide any reason to assign it a rating less than 4 out of 4 stars. The mystery behind the stone, as well as the interactions between the characters made this novel an absolute success. I look forward to reading more by this author, and hope to see more in the Angel Stone series. I strongly recommend this book to anyone interested in sci-fi or paranormal fiction. There is some death, though nothing so grotesque that it would deter more youthful audiences from reading.

Stone of Gabriel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Soraya Bayah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thuriya-albayaa.html
Latest Review: The Lockdown Collection by Barry Jacob

Post by Soraya Bayah »

An unusual concept; Im in! The fact that there is not much profanity or sexual content always draws me in, plus the fact that I am a fan of both sci-fi and paranormal fiction. Thank you for the insightful review, I will make sure to read this one.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”